Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: lacy bloodlines
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:07 pm 

Ever since I met some of Amber and DJ's dogs, I've liked the smaller sized lacys. Am wondering how many well-known and lesser well known bloodlines are there and what do they usually throw? Please include unregistered bloodlines if possible. Thank you. I'm more aware about catahoula bloodlines for obvious reasons so am wanting to try to get up to speed on the lacy ones.

Post subject: Re: lacy bloodlines
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Tricky question given the state of the breed. There are a lot of big Lacys out there and unfortunately most of the lines have been mixed and muddled together. So just because a dog has small lines on their pedigree, they probably have big lines too, and it would take a couple generations of careful breeding to set a size.

That being said, the Brooks dogs are consistently small and true to type. Jimmy has worked hard to develop his lines and it shows. Though they have different lines originating from old Hill Country stock, Mike and Mis Brooks are doing the same thing. Larremore dogs seem to be pretty compact, and I've also seen smaller dog from Gibbs and Respondek.

One of the best things to do is make sure you get a dog whose parents and even grandparents are the size you're looking for. If you want a 40 pound dog, look for a sire and dam that are approximately 40 pounds. Breeding a 20 pound dam to a 60 pound stud does not equal a litter of 40 pound dogs. Genetics doesn't work that way. Traits don't balance out 50-50, they have a 50-50 chance of being expressed. So some dogs from that litter might end up in the middle, but others will be extra small and some will be extra large. Plus you don't know what genes they could pass on to their offspring, which is why avoiding the big lines is just as important as finding the small ones.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics