|NLDA Forum for Working Lacy Dogs|
|NLDA Breeder's Code of Ethics
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||Julie N [ Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm ]|
|Post subject:||NLDA Breeder's Code of Ethics|
The National Lacy Dog Association requires that all breeders subscribe to the following Code of Ethics to promote and foster the highest standards among breeders, owners and fanciers, and to encourage sportsmanship and cooperation in the improvement and advancement of the Lacy Dog. This Code of Ethics has been adapted from the United Kennel Club, the premier performance dog registry established in 1898.
I am familiar with, and follow, the NLDA Kennel Requirements. I will keep accurate records, and retain those records for a minimum of five years. These records will include: stud service contracts, pedigrees, all litters produced and all dogs/puppies sold. I will report to the NLDA and applicable registries any person who falsifies a registration, or knowingly misrepresents a pedigree.
- I shall plan each breeding with the paramount intention of improving the breed.
- I will select the stud dog and brood bitch with an eye to conformation, temperament and working instinct and ability, with a careful study of the breed standard and the principles of genetics.
- I will not breed any male or female until they are both physically and mentally mature.
- I will not breed any male or female until they have both established themselves as working dogs.
- Before entering into any breeding arrangement, I will scrutinize the pedigree, conformation and working potential of both the sire and dam, keeping in mind the ideal of the breed. I have an obligation to refuse the breeding if, in my opinion, it is not in the best interest of the breed.
- As a responsible stud dog owner, I understand that should I refuse a breeding, I will fully explain my reasons to the owner of the bitch.
- I believe that only those dogs known to be free of serious or disqualifying defects should be used for breeding. I will not breed monochrids, cryptochrids, dogs with vicious or shy temperaments, or dogs with serious defects or disqualifications addressed in the breed standards.
- As a responsible breeder, I will refrain from using a dog that, although free from serious or disqualifying defects, consistently produces afflicted puppies.
- I will require the buyers of unaltered pet quality puppies to spay or neuter them.
I will maintain high standards of health and care for my dogs, and guarantee the health of my puppies at the time of sale.
- I will be discriminating in the sales of my puppies, and concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. My dogs/puppies will not be sold to dog wholesalers, retailers or through auctions.
- I will transfer all applicable registration papers at the time the purchase agreement is completed and is agreeable to both parties.
- Upon the sale of a dog/puppy, I will provide the buyer with properly executed registration documents, diet record, an inoculation and parasite control record and a health guarantee.
- I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is at least eight weeks old.
- I will make a lifetime commitment to my puppies, providing educated advice and placement assistance if necessary.
- My advertising of dogs/puppies will be factual and honest, both in substance and implication.
- I will take special care to honestly portraying the working ability of both the stud dog and brood bitch.
- I will avoid encouraging buyers regarding the breeding potential of a dog/puppy. I believe breeding purebred dogs involves certain responsibilities, and I will not take it lightly.
- I understand that competing with dogs is a sport, and that I am expected to express good sportsmanship in all activities.
- As an exhibitor, I will refrain from unnecessary criticism of other people’s dogs.
- As a matter of ethics, I pledge to help educate the general public as well as to assist the novice breeder.
This Code of Ethics is intended as an expression of goals for breeders, exhibitors and fanciers. Breeders are expected to police themselves in a civil and responsible manner. Complaints regarding unethical conduct are taken seriously and will be addressed by the NLDA in a prompt manner.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group|