Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: nutrition and genes
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:20 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I wasnt sure whether I wanted to post this under nutrition or genetics, but decided it was best under genetics.

I have long been a proponent of nutrition being vital to genetics. This article that I ran across is from a study that was done for testing to see the effects of UV rays and humidity on hair. If you want to read the whole article it is : http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/8/2053S . What I have posted below is the introduction paragraph to the study and it is so fascinating to me. Mayhaps some time I might find the time to look up more info on this!!

Hair color is genetically determined. Pigmentation depends mainly on the presence and proportions of reddish eumelanin and black phaeomelanin and the density and distribution of the melanins in the hair cortex and medulla (1). In aged dogs, hair color tends to fade. However, discoloration of the hair coat can also be a problem of practical importance in younger dogs with the discrete appearance of cream- or reddish-colored hairs in formerly white or black dogs. Presently the etiology for this is not obvious, and nutritional and other exogenous influences must be considered among genetic factors. For example, protein malnutrition induces disturbances in hair growth and quality (2). Tyrosine and phenylalanine deficiencies can induce hair discoloration (3). Reddish phaeomelanin and black eumelanin are synthesized from tyrosine by the copper-dependent enzyme tyrosinase, which catalyzes the formation of 3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (DOPA) from tyrosine. DOPA is oxidized to DOPA quinone, and this is metabolized further to eumelanin or phaeomelanin (4,5). Although not tested specifically in canines, cystine, methionine, and arginine deficiencies are reported to induce hair discoloration (6). Trace-element deficiencies or imbalances also affect hair quality (7). Suboptimal zinc levels induce graying of hair, and copper deficiency causes fading of brown- or black-pigmented hair (8). Other trace elements such as iron and iodine can affect hair color as well as vitamins A, B-2 and B-6, pantothenic, folic, and nicotinic acids, and biotin (9,10).

Without doing more research, I certainly cant say, but my thoughts are that you cannot separate genetics from nutrition. And, to push my greatest pet peeve of all, you dont get good nutrition from man made dog food.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: nutrition and genes
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:14 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty L. wrote:
Without doing more research, I certainly cant say, but my thoughts are that you cannot separate genetics from nutrition. And, to push my greatest pet peeve of all, you dont get good nutrition from man made dog food.

Betty

I'm with you, Betty!

Post subject: Re: nutrition and genes
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Makes sense to me, good research

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics