Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: Good laymans article
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:49 pm 

There is nothing new stated in this article but I really like the way that the author explains the three dimensions of genetic standardization. I also like how he explains that line-breeding if used correctly can facilitate the elimination of genetic flaws and how individual bottle necked lines within a breed actually increase the genetic diversity of the breed as a whole. Like I said this is nothing new, its just stated simply.

http://thehoundsmen.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ation.html

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post subject: Re: Good laymans article
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:14 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

read the article, very interesting.

Jerryg

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Since this article is a little more relevant as a follow up, I'll post it in this thread. I tried to find the Guy Ormiston article, which doesn't appear to be up anywhere, but I find that he wrote a short book called "The New Guide to Breeding Old Fashioned Working Dogs."

Terrierman gave it a strong recommendation, http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/20 ... ioned.html, and I really respect his writing. Read the whole article, but here are some of his highlighted quotes from the book:

"To become wealthy you would have to sell dogs in volume and that is contradictory to one of the secrets of breeding outstanding working dogs. SECRET: Constant sorting of brood stock is necessary to prevent regression to average performers. You cannot mass-produce sound brood stock."

"You must be a USER of your own brood stock…You could not cull out the lesser dogs unless you used them under fire, identifying their weakness."

"Line breeding and inbreeding will have to be used to maintain any excellence you wish to keep in your strain (but) Never, never, make a cross based solely on compatible pedigrees." [The author goes on to recount his method of developing your own separate strains for the eventually needed outcross.]

"Breed only based on the abilities of the present couple before you. Working ability is an absolute necessity but secondary to soundness and courage. Care must be taken to never double up on a weakness, but always double up on strength."

"If the progeny prove inferior, the animal is removed from the breeding program."

"NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE IMPORTANCE OF WORKING QUALITY IN YOUR BROOD BITCHES. JUDGE A SIRE ONLY BY HIS GET."

"If you have something good in the way of a working dog strain, constant wariness is required to avoid losing it."

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 pm 

You left out two excerpts that I feel are just as relevant if not more so.

# "To produce a credible strain of working dogs… you must breed dogs that will almost train themselves. They must be dogs that can rise above everything from limited exposure to work/training, to neglect, to abuse, and still make some fashion of a functional working dog. I would say only one potential user out of a hundred is a "real" dog trainer… a person who, first, will take the time to properly train a young dog and, secondly, knows how to go about it… a rare find indeed… Out of a litter of ten pups to a random sampling of users, only about two of those pups would have a fair chance of receiving a proper chance to perform their heritage."

# "Many a poor soul embarks on a breeding program, with no chance for success simply because this person cannot recognize a top working dog and, therefore, is unable to make intelligent breeding selections. One must study dogs, live with them in the working environment, succeed or fail based on their competence before one can recognize a top performer. Usually these sessions of learning must be lonely vigils."

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics