Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Snakebite
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 pm 

Well some may disagree but this comes from a recent experience. Two days ago I was out arrowhead hunting and of corse I had some dogs with me. We were walking up a deep rocky draw and I heard one of the dogs yelp, he ran to me and I noticed two punctures on his shoulder and imedietly thought snake bite. So I rushed to the truck and let him get a BIG drink of water. Then it set in that I was five hours from the nearest anti-venom. So I threw him in the truck and tried to make some time but it was useless. Then I remembered something I read in a great book writen by Steve Mathis a famed lion hunter. In there he related his experience with snake bit dogs. He tried doing what all vets say to do when you can't get anti-venom but that dog nearly died. But to get back on topic he had found that extream exercise for a couple of hours kept the blood flowing and stop clotting. Well I roaded the dog for about 5 miles at a steady lope. When I wokeup yesterday I went and checked on him and the bite was a little puffy and he acted as though nothing ever happend.

Now I don't know about any of you but if I ever get bitten by a snake I'm gonna pick the highest mountain around and head twards the top.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post subject: Re: Snakebite
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:27 am 

I know the older snakes dont inject as much, if any venom, as a young snake. maybe he had just killed something and struck the dog our of self defence. Personally my dogs get the rattlesnake vaccine. some say it works some say no but if it does and its out there I will take the chance and give it to my dogs.
The amount of venom injected (approximately 20-25% of bites are "dry" meaning no venom has been injected, 30% of bites are mild meaning they cause local pain and swelling in the bite area and no systemic symptoms, 40% of bites are severe with approximately 5% actually being fatal)
Now if I got bit, you aint seein me climb a mountain 8-x Glad your dog is ok....
This is the vaccine I use. http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post subject: Re: Snakebite
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:41 am 

Glad to hear everything is ok, that can be very scary.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion