Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:55 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Warning, this is gross...

About a month ago, DJ's usual hunting buddies went without him (DJ had to work late). Well, the next day, their dogs all had a strange rash, then by the end of the day the rash had turned to knots. By the time they got them to the vet, the knots had opened up and were full of yellow pus, and several of the dogs had a fever. The vet gave them one strong dose of Baytril, followed by 14 days of Cephalexin, and an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal spray. Everyone was ok within a few days.

The vet said that it was an infection they got from stagnant water. Everyone agreed that he was probably right because the dogs had ended up in some questionable water.

Well, Friday night, DJ took the dogs hunting. Shelly (catch dog) got a little too hot, but she seemed to be ok. Saturday morning they went again, but Shelly stayed home to rest. She was pretty lethargic all day Saturday, and by Saturday night I was starting to get worried. I took her temperature, and it was a little high, but not bad. I let her sleep in the house, and before we went to bed, DJ noticed that she had a rash on her stomach.

Well, when we got up yesterday morning, the rash had turned to knots. They were all over her body, from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter. A few hours later the knots were starting to rupture and were oozing yellow pus. Her temperature was back to normal, but she was still lethargic. We got her the same treatment as the other dogs, and she's already getting better.

She was the only one that got it this time, and it definitely didn't come from stagnant water. She was on the lead or within DJ's sight the whole time, and the only water she got in was a running creek (it rained all day before the hunt). I want to prevent this from happening again, but I don't know what caused it. Any ideas?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Eww, that is gross!

Is it some sort of bug bite or poisonous plant? I'm thinking a plant because that would make sense if she walked over it and rubbed her belly across it. And if it was a bite it could be something that was working its way out. Plus I just don't know how stagnant water could do that.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:03 pm 

Stagnant water has bacteria of all sorts and heaven knows what else swimming about in it..
Dogs tend to have cast iron stomachs but their skin can and will react to the bacteria(s) and fungus associated with stagnant water

But it doesn't sound like that is what Shelly got into :-?
Amber had any of the dogs infected on the previous hunt used Shelly's vest?

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:35 pm 

The only thing I've heard of that is close is when a guy was hunting jaguars in the jungles of mexico. They had just finished a successful hunt when on there way back to camp two young dogs drank some brackish water. Then about three days later they started to get abscesses on their stomach that when lanced ozzed black puss with little white things the size of rice kernals. Sadly both dogs died.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 pm 

That sounds like those dogs drank a parasite Cory.
Very sad

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:19 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Shelly is MUCH better now. We didn't let her hunt this weekend, but she'll probably get to go next weekend. None of the dogs had swapped vests, so I'm still unsure of what happened. It's really bugging me because I'm afraid of it happening again.

We let her stay in the house during the ordeal, and one of those nights I woke up to a strange sound coming from the living room. I went in there, and figured out that the noise was Shelly dragging one of DJ's hog skulls across the hardwood floors to the couch (where she was chewing on it). :@)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:49 am 

:)) Shelly :-BD

Have you talked to a vet just to see what else it could be besides stagnant water?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I dont know what all can be in stagnant water, but I do know that when Larry gets into the water troughs, he scratches a lot more. He does get what looks like little pustules, but they really dont have any pus in them. They will go away on their own. Its not really much like what Amber described, but all the junk in the water does affect Larry. We clean out the troughs and he is ok after that. The algae and stuff builds up and it starts all over again.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The only vet I've talked to is the one we use, and he seems confident that it came from water.

I guess it's possible, but the only water she was in was not stagnant. I also don't understand why the other dogs (who also got in the water) didn't get it this time. However, most of them got it last time, so maybe they've built up an immunity? It was definitely worse on the lower half of her body (belly and legs), so that aspect seems to make a stronger case for it being from the water. However, it wasn't only on the lower half. The worst one is right on top of her head, and it's the only one that's a little slow to heal. :-?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm 

sounds like it might have been an allergic reaction to a plant or grass that rubbed her legs and belly imo. could have even been from an insect?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I don't think it could be an insect. It took around 20 hours for the symptoms on the skin to show up. I'm pretty much convinced it is some type of bacterial infection, judging from what was coming out of the knots and how it responded to antibiotics. It could very well be from water...but I don't think you can say it came from stagnant water. The water she was in looked fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's interesting to hear what y'all think. And now I know I will NOT be taking my dogs to hunt in Mexican jungles.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm 

did your vet do a biopsy? This could be interesting....I heard of a mite that will do that too.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:23 pm 

This may or maynot be related but it sounds familiar..I was horseback riding last weekend with a friend who remarked about NOT letting the horses step in standing water at this time of the year. She said the vet told her there were mites in the muck, water. And to make sure I washed my horse's legs with medicated shampoo. For many years I have had friends whose horses legs broke out in bumps with puss but we attributed it to poison ivy or seed ticks. The horses would be treated with antibiotics and the scabs removed also. So for what it's worth this may be simaliar
Rebecca

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion