Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Allergies
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 am 

I was going to see if anyone had ever had any of the same problems. A while back, Maggie got stung by a scorpion, and she had an allergic reaction to it. She also can't eat any type of chicken. I don't know if it makes her sick, but she instantly throws it up. Well now, after she eats her puppy chow, she throws up too. I have been feeding her Purina puppy chow since I've had her, and it has just now started making her sick. In the last month, she has probably thrown up at least once every couple days. Any ideas? Or any suggestions of a different puppy chow that might prove to be a little more effective?

"Dogs show you they love you with their tails."

Post subject: Re: Allergies
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 am 

Sounds more like a physical reflex to me. Allergies are not instantaneous.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

There is a canned and dry food that is made by Royal Canin that has low fat and is easily digested. I know, everyone is having a hard time with me telling you to feed canned food. :)) However, a while back, Larry was throwing up EVERYTHING that he ate. I took him to the vet and she took xrays and his stomach was highly irritated. He had thrown up a bunch of stuff that he found around here that he thought that he needed to eat. Then, he just kept throwing up everything that I gave him. The vet sent home the Royal Canin canned food and I didnt give it to him, at first, thinking that the raw should still be better. (You know me and what I think about vets advice!) But, he still couldnt keep down anything other than eggs, no matter how small a piece of straight meat that I gave him. So, finally, I gave in and started giving him small amounts of the canned food and he kept it down. After about 3 days, he was able to keep his raw down. I dont know if you have to get that particular food from a vet or not.

I also had a terrible experience while keeping a friends Sheltie. He got sick with pancreatitis and was horribly ill. He couldnt even keep water down. When he got to come back home, the vet sent the same Royal Canin with him and he ate it when he wouldnt eat anything else.

Based on those two experiences, I would say try that until Maggies stomach calms down. The bad thing about giving canned food is that if she throws that up, its just that much more of a mess!!! Once her stomach calms down, go back to the puppy chow and see how that works.

I think that you are planning on going to raw when bow season opens. When Maggie gets to where she is keeping her food down, just go with the puppy chow until then. When you get some deer meat, start Maggie on it straight off. Stay away from anything with fat on it. I suspect that the fat in the chicken is why she is throwing the chicken up. Usually, I say start with chicken, and I'm not changing that for others, just for Maggie, since she is having the problem that she is and since she is still a pup. It could be the fat, or, it could be that most chicken has additives such as salt and some other junk that is put in especially cheap chicken. It could be the additives. I do know of one lacy that absolutely cannot tolerate chicken.

I think that the scorpion sting and the throwing up are just a coincidence. Scorpions can be bad for a dog. But, I cant see it causing the throwing up now. Bridgette got stung on the nose by what we think was a scorpion and her nose swelled up almost to the point that she couldnt breathe. It was scary!!

Good luck and I hope that Maggie gets all better!!
Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Chicken is generally considered an easy starter food, and it's economical and the mainstay for a lot of raw feeders. But for Cannon, it's the devil. It's the only thing that ever gave him a bloody stool, and after that he won't touch it. I have to give him (more expensive) game hens, which work fine for him. Turkey does too. One advantage of the game hens is that one of them is about the right size for a days meal for a Lacy.. a bit on the light side, so Cannon generally gets a small piece of some other meat for an evening snack.

I mention this because, if chicken is causing a problem, it might not be just the fat. Game hens have a lot of the same characteristics (lots of bone to keep the stools firm while a dog is adjusting to raw) but apparently fifferent enzymes than chicken, and so it works better for some dogs. So when you start broadening things beyond the deer meat, you might want to give game hens a try.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:41 pm 

Well I took her to my vet and he had to put her on the raw "man" diet :) I know this will excite you Betty! So Maggie has been eating elk meat and potatoes for the last few days, and trust me, she absolutely hates it ;) But thanks for all of the suggestions and concern! I just have to keep the little girl away from chicken... sounds about right that she would only like red meat in this family!!

"Dogs show you they love you with their tails."

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Shelby,

Glad that your vet put Maggie on the "raw man" diet!! She will do just fine on it. Its certainly better than canned dog food!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion