Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: snake bite
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Last evening the dogs and I went for a very short walk. When we were coming back in Larry and Abe were running full steam, chasing each other and just running for the fun of it. Larry was running towards the water trough when all of a sudden, he acted like he couldnt stop and couldnt jump over the trough. He wound up with his front feet in the trough, but jumped out and acted pretty strange. I looked at his leg and thought that he had pulled a tendon or something like that. I could tell that he really didnt feel good, but thought that he had just really pulled kinks on himself by stopping like he did. His hind leg was swollen in one place, so I brought him in and put some Arnica Montana on the swelling and got out my vet book and looked up what to do for sprains, etc. I gave him a Bufferin and checked on him a little later. His foot was about as swollen as it could get and that worried me, but he seemed ok, just a little tired. Roy got home about 2 or so this morning and Larry got up and went to the door to greet Roy. But, I could tell that he really wasnt feeling good. I gave him more Bufferin and coated his leg again with Arnica gel. He had licked a spot raw, or so I thought. I put a bandage on the raw spot and we went on to bed.

When we got up this morning, I made a vet appointment. Our vet in Menard is also the county judge, so he sees patients early, then goes to court, then back to being a vet in the afternoon. I was concerned about the fluid in Larrys leg, but the swelling had gone down some. When we got into the vets exam room, he took one look at Larrys leg and said 'that is a snake bite'. Then, everything made sense! Larry was trying to stop and turn when he first got a scent of the snake by the water trough. There are rocks and good hiding places for snakes under the trough and of course, snakes need water too. I never saw the snake, but I know now when the snake bit Larry and why he reacted the way that he did. He was scared of the snake smell since he was given snake avoidance and he was trying to react to it, but was running so fast that he couldnt stop and turn. Bless his heart. I saw no fang marks on his leg, but now there is skin rot in two places like where the fangs hit him.

Larry has had no symtoms of snake bite that are listed in the vet book. He has felt bad, but hasnt been sick. He still has a lot of fluids on his leg and I can tell that it really hurts him, but he ate good tonight and is able to walk enough to go potty. The vet said that he would have hair and skin loss on parts of his leg, but should be ok. The vet gave him an anti-venom shot and an anti-biotic and we have to take him back tomorrow.

The vet didnt promise that Larry would make it thru this, but said that he should be ok. I think that he will. He is alert and doesnt look sick. He just looks at us like, 'why do I feel so bad?' Poor baby!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: snake bite
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ms Betty,

I'm so sorry to hear about Larry. I will be praying for him to have a full and speedy recovery. I hate snakes........I know theres a reason for them, but I hate snakes.

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Thanks, Kevin. I know that he will have everyones prayers and love. I know that he is still alive because he is healthy and because that we were perhaps lucky. But, mostly because he is being watched over. I dont know, but I know that hes gonna be ok.

The vet also gave us some of that Fura Zone stuff that is a known carcinogen but it looks like it is really stopping the open sore from getting any bigger tonight anyway. Larry seems to be my 'bad luck' guy. He has had more things go wrong lately!! If anyone gets hurt, its him. Roy is here, thank goodness, and can carry Larry outside and lay him back down when he comes in. The swelling is really looking better, so I think that he will be ok.

I have been reading about snake bites and some people say that you can have side effects from the anti-venom, but you do what you can do. I will have him treated with homeopathy when the homeopath vet gets back.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Oh poor Larry! He really has been getting the short end of the stick lately.

Though I've never experienced it myself, I've heard that if they can make it through the first several hours, the prognosis is pretty good. There may be tissue damage, but if it doesn't hit a vein, healthy dogs will pull through.

I'm sure it hurts like hell though. I've used Furazone on horses, especially with open cuts on their legs, and it does a great job of keeping infections away and swelling down.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:19 am 

Oh poor Larry. That Fura Zone stuff will help with the antibotic and the hair loss. It is great. It is a good thing you did the things you did for him and not just let him go lay down.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:33 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

So sorry for Larry, Betty. Sounds like he will pull through, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

So do you think it was a rattler? Are those the only really dangerous snakes y'all have out there?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I cant make up my mind if it was a rattlesnake or copperhead. If it was a rattlesnake, the sucker didnt have time to rattle. I never saw it, so it was quick and quiet. I have my doubts about it being a copperhead tho. Its just so dry out here and theres no water, other than the water in the troughs. I know there are copperheads around west Texas, but they are more likely to be around rivers, tanks, etc. So, I just dont know.

Larry is doing pretty good today. The bad place around the bite is drying up, cause of the FuraZone, I think. He still has a lot of fluids in that leg and it hurts when Roy picks him up. Roy took him outside this morning, but when we ate breakfast, we left him outside. When I went outside to put the stuff on him, he was up and walking around. He was able to climb the steps, altho it wasnt easy for him, he did it. And the surest sign that he is feeling better was when he started wagging his tail last night!! You gotta love that tail wagging!!

I have always known that a rattlesnake bite is not a death sentence. I know ranchers who have dogs that go out of their way to kill rattlers. Then, I also know people who have lost numerouse dogs and cats to them. I did a bunch of reading yesterday and plan on posting what all I have found on the forum. Rattlesnakes always bring to mind death and dying and I am sure not one to undermine any of that, but there is much to know about them. And, I sure dont want everyone running out and getting the rattlesnake vaccine cause they read about Larry being bit! So, education is again the key to understanding here!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:53 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Close to 100% probability it was a rattler... and if the vet gave antivenin, it was most likely for a rattler. Great that he is doing better.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I'm glad he's doing better. I agree that it probably wasn't a copperhead. We've had dogs bit by copperheads, and it didn't affect them much.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:17 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

How's he doing today, Betty?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 am 

I hope he is doing much better! I know how scary that is. Give him lots of kisses for me :)

"Dogs show you they love you with their tails."

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Larry is doing pretty good today, Jim. Thanks for asking! :) He has a lot of fluid in pockets where gravity is pulling it, I guess. He has one place on the inside of his leg that blood oozes out of. The bite place is dry from the Furazone, but it pulls away and bleeds a little around it some. I really think that he looks pretty good, compared to pictures of snake bites that I saw on the internet. We have to take him in into the vet again today for more anti-venom. The vet says that he will lose a lot of skin, but that it will grow back. I know he knows what he is talking about, but I dont see anything like that going on right now. Richard, the vet, is a country vet and treats small and large animals, so he has seen lots of snake bites. So, I'm just waiting to see what happens next. Richard said that on Mon we will have to take Larry in and he will work on the dead skin. I guess we will just have to wait and see what comes next. Larry is drinking and urinating plenty and the vet said that was a good sign.

I talked to my sister who lives close to Austin today and she said that there have been more snake bites than usual because of the dry conditions around the state. The snakes are coming in closer to people for water, so everyone keep a look out and be careful when you are outside.

Shelby, I have been kissing him a lot!! Thanks! :)

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Poor Larry, I'm still sending good energy your way.

The rattler I saw a couple weekends ago was the first one I've ever come across. I agree with your sister, this dry heat has them out in record numbers, everyone needs to be careful!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Glad to hear Larrys is recovering from the snake bite. I've had you guys in my prayers, hopefully some of that good energy is coming your way.

I'll give you a call soon.

kevin

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion