Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:59 am 

i will call the vet today and get the correct name of it

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The last time I bathed Cannon was when I first brought him home and had him in a crate in the house at night. After a few nights of washing towels and cleaning him up in the middle of the night :(( , he transitioned to being outside :D , which was always intended. Every now and then he will get muddy, but that takes care so itself when he dries. Used to bathe my kibble fed dogs all the time, but never see (or smell) the need with Cannon on raw. I brush him now and then, but not very often.

Mother Nature rocks.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Changing diet and supplementing with fish oil and vitamin E will probably have the greatest impact. I've heard conflicting advice on bathing for dogs with alopecia. Some claim bathing every other week or so is important because it keeps the follicles clean. Because the hair is breaking off and growing back sporadically, it is easier for dogs with CDA to get bacterial skin infections. The other school says bathe if and only if one of the medical issue pops up. Because the hair is more delicate, just scrubbing a dog could cause more breakage and bald spots. Anti-bacterial shampoo for infections, moisturizing baths for irritated and flaking skin, but other than that just leave the coat alone.

I'd say try a couple things to see what works best. If you start bathing her more often and the balding spots expand more quickly, stop. If you aren't bathing her often and she starts developing secondary issues, start. Plus her needs may change depending on the season and hormones. Some people report that being in heat makes it temporarily worse, other have more problems in the winter when it's dry, just depends on the dog.

Oh, and I'm 99% sure it's alopecia based on what your vet said, but if he calls it something else, definitely let us know.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion