Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

This is on my mind since I just called VPI to have my insurance premium reduced. I opened up a pet insurance policy for Sadie as soon as I got her. Originally I had the full medical package plus wellness. It's a $50 deductible plus 10% of the procedure below the allowance, so that paid for most of her spay and first year of shots. I finally got the wellness taken off because I don't use it, she's on a minimal vaccine schedule now, gets wormed with the other hog dogs and has never had so much as a cough.

Now I'm paying a monthly premium of $21. I could have bumped it down to $12 a month, but that reduced the cap on procedures by about 40 to 50%. I decided I'd rather pay the $9 a month than an extra $1,000 for some surgery down the line. I really grilled customer service about what was included in my policy and I'm still satisfied that it's comprehensive enough to cover pretty much anything. In addition to all the major viruses and infections, including $1305 for parvo, it covers stuff like cancer, bloat, allergies and pretty much every accident you can think of. Snake bites, poisoning, fractures, amputations, ACL surgery, blunt trauma, even $700 for heat stroke. I verified that yes, even a hunting dog is covered.

Am I the only one with pet insurance? It seems like it could save some people a lot of money. And unless she was faced with a seriously diminished quality of life, I know I'd spend whatever was necessary to save my dog, so it makes sense for me considering the risk she faces hog hunting.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:27 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Julie,

I dont have dog insurance, but for some instances, I would think that it could be worth the money. Larry's experience with the snake bite didnt cost us much but it could have, had Larry lost skin that the vet would have had to cut away. I dont know if you could drop that Parvo and it reduce your cost any, but Sadie does not need Parvo coverage. Parvo is a puppy and/or old age disease. Sadie is a healthy dog. IF under the strangest situation she was to get Parvo, it would not cause her to need $1305 in vet expenses. I personally think that the major need that you would have with Sadie would be for any accident that she might incur.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 am 

Not if you have multiple dogs and have kids..your $ does go somewhere more important. For a single person with one or two dogs, it would make economical sense...esp if that person is employed in a stable job. Besides only time I brought in my dogs was for their required rabies shots...I do bring them in for their puppy shots and once they're done, then they only get annual rabies and I'm glad they passed the law to allow 3 year rabies tags now instead of having to take our dogs every year. Do all of your wormings and stuff yourself and you'll save loads of $ in the long run. I know people who have over 40-100 dogs..they won't be able to afford the pet insurance :)) personally I think 40 dogs is a bit much. My personal limit is 5 to maybe as much as 15. I've had that many dogs and they all got trained and personal 1 on 1 time with me but anything over that number wouldn't work for me.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty, it's an all or nothing deal when it comes to the medical. Personally I'm not concerned by the parvo, but I often hear of people putting young dogs down because of it, so it intrigued me that it was in there. But I did get medical in addition to injury because I wanted things covered like cancer. My parents spent ten of thousands keeping our little Corgi alive for three years through soft tissue cancer in her skull. Personally, I wouldn't have done everything my mom did, because I question the quality of life Amelia had in her last year or two. But I would have done the initial treatments and I know I couldn't afford those without insurance.

Ted, I definitely understand your point, it really isn't a solution for people with lots of dogs, it's for people who have one or two dogs, or one or two they would do anything to save even if they have a large pack. But if $240 a year in premiums is too expensive, isn't $1000 when your dog gets hit by a car even worse? I'm sure some people would decide that feeding their kids was more important than saving their dog. But personally I would spend anything it takes to save my dog, so having the cushion of insurance is worth it, especially considering all the injuries Sadie could sustain in the woods.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 am 

Julie, good points. My lacy's leg was worth $1,400 after he got hit by a car breaking his leg completely in 4 places. Mother-in-law helped pay the bill. Ended up having to do some back yard work to replace some of that $. Paid her off a few months later. Problem I would assume with pet insurance is that not all vets accept it from what I understand. My ex girlfriend had an human aggressive golden retriever (yes, Virginia, there are mean golden retrievers out there!) who got leg cancer. Had his leg amputated. Died exactly 1 year after the surgery with quality of life not so good. It costed her $1000 to get it cut off. Not sure if it was worth extending his life when he didn't like people that much. On the other hand, she had to rush a puppy that was half st bernard half catahoula (BAD cross, btw!) to the vet because she liked to eat towels..costing her over $2k to have the vet cut her up and take it out. Dog was housebroken but had a huge fascination for towels so she was made to be an outside dog. Problem solved.

Oh! Forgot to ask you...do you plan to get another dog in the future?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Most pet insurance doesn't work like human medical insurance. You submit your claim afterward and they reimburse you. So the vet has the choice of making you pay up front or just billing you and then waiting for you to pay when the insurance company sends the check. My vet did the later. With Sadie's spay and microchip implant, they gave me a bill that I faxed in with a claim form. It took about two weeks to get my check from VPI, which I deposited into my account and used to write the vet's office a check.

Moonshine's leg is the perfect example of why I do have insurance. Rather than $1400, with my insurance plan it would have been $50 co-pay plus 10% of the cost, so $190 total. It is very possible Sadie might need similar treatment from getting hit by a hog one day, which is really why I've kept it, because her job is dangerous. If she was just a house pet, the risk level wouldn't justify the costs for me. But every time she goes in the woods I realize she could come out with an injury requiring hundreds if not thousands of dollars to fix.

I don't have any plans for another dog in the immediate future. Sadie takes up plenty of my time and energy all on her own, and I know adding another dog to the pack would be a major undertaking. But when she is more stable, and I know my job and living situation won't change for a while, I might give in to the fever 8-|

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:07 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I didn't expect to have health problems with Cannon (I guess you never do), and he isn't doing anything likely to cause injury, so I didn't even think of buying pet insurance. Then he got that mass-cell tumour (vaccine related!) and it cost almost $1,000.

Wups.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Boy, am ever glad that I live in a small city!! I would die to have to pay that kind of money for my dog!! I would surely pay it, but sure would die when they told me how much I owed them!

Emergency vets stick it to us around here, but thats to be expected, I guess. It didnt cost but $850 to get Abe's cleft palate fixed and that was with a specialty vet. I say 'just' $850 because I expected it to be much more than that.

It only cost me $110 to get Lucy spayed. I thought that was a decent price.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion