Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Ear-flap Abrasions?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 am 

Chula has some dark spots on her ears that are losing hair and are kind of flaky. The tips of her ears have scabs on them, too. I thought it was coming from her shaking her head and hitting her ears on the kennel or dog house, but that doesn't really make sense now that it is showing up all over her ears, not just the tip. It kind of looks like ring-worm, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would just show up on her ears and nowhere else... Has anyone dealt with something like this before? I will try to get photos tonight.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post subject: Re: Ear-flap Abrasions?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:23 pm 

My lacy has had them on and off for the most of his life. At first, I thought it was a flea problem. Got rid of the fleas....the problem stayed around so...all I can think it could be a hereditary thing. My vet (in Austin) seemed to think it was a hereditary thing and that it was not a huge issue except when there were times the ear would simply bleed like nobody's business and get all over stuff. The last couple of years..it has stopped doing it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:17 pm 

I haven't seen it on any of my other dogs. I'm just not sure what to make of it or if it is something I should be concerned about... Anyways, here's some pictures:

As you can see, it's got some pretty noticeable spots on her one ear and the other is just kinda dark.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:42 am 

Yep, my lacy has those. I'll have to see if I can take better up close pics. Doc seemed to think fleas caused them but I don't think so because I make sure my dogs don't have fleas but sometimes one or two comes up after a trip to the park. Currently his ears are fine.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:58 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've noticed several Lacys have the torn/chapped/bleeding ear tips. And now that I think of it, most are reds. I'm sure I've seen it on a blue but I can't think of one at the moment. Has anyone noticed it in a blue dog?

Comparing it to what I've seen in horses, it could be a fungus. You could essentially test that out by getting a regular OTC anti-fungal cream. If it clears up, you have your answer, though you have to make sure you wash your hands pretty thoroughly before and after applying it. Fungus tends to linger.

But I'm still hung up on seeing it in so many Lacys. I know this can be a problem in Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are notorious for sensitive skin and allergies that often manifest in their ears. I wonder if we're developing a similar issue.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 am 

I think it might be frostbite, they dont have alot of hair on their ears. Mine have gotten the small cracks at the end of the ears, but then again they are always grabbing each other by the ear too... :))

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:49 pm 

In Texas? I keep my dogs indoors so don't think it's frostbite in my dog's case. Do you keep yours outside?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:53 am 

My dogs are outside but it hasn't gotten below 30 out here, so I don't think it's frostbite. We're in south Texas and it rarely gets colder than 40. I think Julie might be correct in the fungal type deal. We did put some stuff on it for while. It didn't clear up after about a week, so I think we just quit wasting the medicine. She plays rough with Moonie, but it doesn't look like bite marks or anything like that. Maybe it is a hereditary type deal?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If it is fungus, it can be annoying to treat. Like you'll go to put medicine on it and you'll get a little bit of the fungus on the ointment cap and then you can never get rid of the stuff... god, it was a huge pain with one horse who had been out to pasture for a couple months with an injury. He was a fancy show horse so he had to look perfect, plus we were worried it would accidentally get transfer to another fancy horse. It took about a month of people using sterilized gloves to get rid of it and it still left one area that looked like a scar.

Chad is right, frostbite can look like that, but the pattern is what makes me think fungus. And this winter has been pretty mild. Chapping could easily cause the bleeding tips, but those round marks seem different.

I just feel like I see more torn/ripped/chapped/etc ears in Lacys than other curs. The dogs that are kept inside seem to be OK, but they aren't supposed to be pampered pets, they are supposed to be hardy enough for outdoor living. Even though it's cosmetic at this point, I think it's a trend we should keep an eye on. If Lacys are becoming more thin skinned, it could lead to more practical issues like sensitive feet that inhibit their ability to work. I'll try to find the literature on it in Ridgebacks. They have attributed it to the ridge gene, which is essentially a recessive hair follicle trait like blueness, and the associated coat and skin issues.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Julie is totally right about the fungus being hard to treat. It is one of the hardest things that you can deal with. I dont know if that is a fungus or not, but it is certainly a possibility.

A fungus sets in on a body that has a poor immune system. As long as the immune system is worn down, the fungus has a hay day in the body. The over use of chemicals, vaccines and poor feed all contribute to a host that makes its self available for fungus to set in. It will set in on the weaker of a group of dogs and spread easily to the others.

Of course, I would say that you need to raw feed your dogs, but I know that not everyone can afford to raw feed, or even wants to raw feed, but any one can learn about what the over use of chemicals and vaccines can do to your dogs health. Just cutting back on anything is better.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I dont know if it is the same but I had bought Ben a day glow collar and it was a little long. The end was rubbing his ear raw and making a small dime size sore. I just cut the collar down, I dont know if maybe a tracking antenna could be rubbing while hunting or not???

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Rachael,

I didnt think about it when you first posted, but you can get some tea tree oil. We have talked about this numerous times, dont know why I didnt think about it before. But, teatree oil is easy to find at HEB, health food stores, etc. Tea tree oil is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-all kinds of things. Put some on a cotton ball and rub it on the spots on the ear, then throw away the cotton ball. Dont give it internally!!! Altho Chads dogs drink it when he puts it in his fish pond and it worms them pretty good!! But, its pretty watered down by then, I would suspect. It may take a while as we have all stated, fungus is hard to get rid of. I would rather see you put tea tree oil on Chulas ears than a fungicide.

And, it still could be something rubbing, like you thought from the start. I also had forgotten about the spots on Ben that really looked strange.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:59 am 

Go to the feed store and Fura Zone, it is a horse antibotic. It is safe for dogs and it will kill the infection and it will also help the hair grow back, then make sure you keep it around for any future injuries. It works great and is very inexpensive, like $8.00 for a good size jar. You need to put it on every few days until you see it healing.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:00 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 pm 

You know what, I have this cut heal stuff that I am gonna try on her. Its fish oil, linseed oil, tea tree oil, and balsam of fir. The ingredients shouldn't damage her skin. It smells real nice, too. :) Surprised I didn't try this earlier...

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion