Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

This Lacy on Pet Finder came through the RSS feed and I noticed something unusual about his profile:

"Rocky is a very sweet boy that needs a home with his sister Sandy. They have been together since they were 8 weeks old. They are both now 5 years old and very sweet. Rocky takes thyroid medication daily which costs about $16.00 a month."

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=15657022

Has anyone heard of other Lacys taking daily thyroid meds? I don't think they are the best looking Lacys, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were papered, especially since they went as a pair at 8 weeks to their new home. It could be a freak occurance, but chronic health problems are always a concern for the breed as a whole. My first guess would be Color Dilution Alopecia improperly diagnosed as a thyroid problem, but their coats look fine. And I have to admit I'm too chicken to contact the rescue since I wouldn't feel right suggesting a Lacy reliant on meds to a working home.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:33 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

When Sunny was 15 months or so and hadn't had her first heat, the vet suggested that she could have a thyroid problem. She didn't have any other symptoms, like skin or coat issues, but we did the test just to check. It came back normal. She was just a late bloomer. ;)

I haven't heard of any other Lacys with thyroid problems.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Neither have I. I'm wondering if Betty or Jim might have some info on how diet, environment or vaccines could relate to this. I'm certainly hoping that is the case. People talk a lot about genetic joint problems, but thyroid conditions have tainted several gene pools as well.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 pm 

We think Coon has a thyroid problem, he has had thinning hair and rough course hair. The vet said unless we see some really crazy things going on he seemed healthy. The blood work was very expensive for a maybe. He has been this same way since he was 18months old. That is why we had him fixed his hair did not meet breed standards.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well, sure enough, here I am. I wasnt going to post anything, cause I figure everyone gets tired of me blaming everything on vaccines and poor diet. HOWEVER, thyroid problems are right at the top of the list of things going wrong in the body, due to both vaccines and poor diet. So, there, I said it!! ;)

The thyroid gland is responsible for so many body functions that it stands to reason that if the dogs system is bombarded by poor diet, poisons and vaccines, it will eventually cause damage and the thyroid is one of the first to show signs of damage. These are things that the human can see and can point a finger to.

Fluoride is known and has been proven to cause damage to the thyroid. Many other things such as arsenic, mercury, aluminum, chemicals in our drinking water,(besides fluoride) and in our soil ( and in higher amounts in vaccines) have been proven to make changes in the DNA.

This is why the lacy dog will not be exempt from becoming a breed that has these problems, unless, we as breeders and owners, understand the consequences of poor diet, poisons and vaccines and do something to make a difference. All dogs are going down a bad road unless dog owners understand that their dogs health IS totally in their hands and will make a commitment to NOT vaccinate, NOT use poisons and to give their dogs the best diet that they can.

I appreciate Shannon posting about her dog, Coon. I was going to, then decided that it wasnt my place to do that.

I would bet that there are more lacys out there with either undiagnosed or diagnosed thyroid disease and it will only get worse, due to the nonchalant attitude of many people in the lacy raising business. If a dog has a bad coat and the owner continues to breed that dog, without knowing what is causing the bad coat, then they are irresponsible to the lacy breed. The bad coat could be something that could easily be fixed by a change in diet, or, as Shannon said, it could be a thyroid problem. However, the thyroid panel is expensive and very often, not conclusive. Breeders who dont care what their dog is eating are not likely to pay for a thyroid panel. It is just so easy to say 'Oh, that dog just has a bad coat' and go merrily along breeding and vaccinating, etc. And, on and on and on, creating sick dogs along the way and selling them to unenlightened people who will go on the same path, losing their dogs to younger and younger ages.

Betty

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm 

Coon's hair did improve when we started raw feeding again, but not enough to look normal.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I can't add anytyhing to waht Betty said, other than to give moral support and say "keep posting" on things like this.

At least these two are in a no-kill shelter.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion