Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Re: chemicals
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Although the info that I am posting is long, its worth reading. It's not the info that I was looking for, that info was shorter and more to the point. But, this is good info.
http://www.mypetcarnivore.com/Heartworm.pdf

To answer Mis' question about why one dog would have heartworm problems and one wouldnt- I cant really say, other than like Courtney said, one was bitten by a carrying mosquito and all the other things necessary for the heartworm to be passed on. I would say that as in all of nature, those who are strong and in good health survive. In the above posted info, the author states that a good immune system is imperative to good health. A dog that is fed a raw diet, is vaccine free and not treated with a bunch of chemicals, has a much better chance of fighting off disease or parasites. I cannot stress enough how important it is for our dogs to be free of the accepted modes of treatment if we want them to be with us and healthy for a very long time.

There are alternative treatments for heartworms, if the dog has them and needs treatment.
http://www.heartwormfree.com/

http://www.theherbsplace.com/Artemisia_ ... p_163.html

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Julie,

Your idea of putting the DE on the food before you freeze it would be good. You can give it daily if you want, but I wouldnt do it. But, then, I'm not you! If it makes you feel better, give it daily. At some point in time, you will see that its no longer necessary to do it daily. You will get more comfortable in your belief that Sadie is able to fend off worms and the like because her immune system is strong and unless something is terribly out of balance, her body will take care of them. It takes a while to get to that point and you will get there.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I feel the same way, daily seems like a lot. Maybe every other day? Or once a week? I'm going to order some and try it, see how I feel with it.

My other lingering question is, when fed for internal use, does it prevent all parasites or only the ones in the digestive tract? I guess I'm mainly thinking of whether or not it helps with heart worms.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

DE will only prevent parasites in the digestive tract. I would use the DE for a week, then leave it off for a while. Maybe a couple of months, then use it again for a week and discontinue again. Then, IF you see any evidence of worms, which I never see in my dogs, you could use it any time in between. I do realize that you dont want to really see the evidence!!! LOL!!!

My dogs eat any and everything. I cant tell you what things they bring up to eat. If anything gets shot around here and gets a chance to decay, my dogs will bring it up to chew on it and leave laying around for me to pick up!! I shot a couple of armadillos and took them to the dump. I made sure that I threw them into the part of the dump that would present a challenge for the dogs to get to them. However, I forgot that I have lacy dogs!! They got to the armadillos and enjoyed chewing on them!! Larry will find ANY dead animal when we are out walking and he is the type that loves to roll on them! If there is a bone around, Larry will find it. Doesnt matter how old the bone is, he's going to find it. The, he carries it around in his mouth to where it looks like hes smoking a cigar!! He's a mess! Remember that the dogs digestive tract is extremely acid and does a lot to get rid of worms itself in a healthy dog.

Since the DE actually physically affects the worms, its not like an anti-biotic that pests can get immune to. I will look more for heartworm info this weekend.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Heartworm by Jeffrey Levy. DVM

This parasite is a source of great anxiety among dog caretakers. Thanks in large part to the scare tactics of many veterinarians in promoting preventive drugs, many people believe that contracting heartworms is the equivalent of a death sentence for their dogs. This is not true.

I practiced for seven years in the Santa Cruz, California area, and treated many dogs with heartworms. The only dogs that developed symptoms of heart failure were those that were being vaccinated yearly, eating commercial dog food, and getting suppressive drug treatment for other symptoms, such as skin problems. My treatment, at that time, consisted of switching to a natural (that is, homemade) diet, stopping drug treatment whenever possible, and eliminating any chemical exposure, such as flea and tick poisons. I would usually prescribe hawthorn tincture as well. None of these dogs ever developed any symptoms of heart failure. (danger of: vaccines, commercial petfood, and antibiotics)

I concluded from this that it was not the heartworms that caused disease, but the other factors that damaged the dogs' health to the point that they could no longer compensate for an otherwise tolerable parasite load. It is not really that different from the common intestinal roundworms, in that most dogs do not show any symptoms. Only a dog whose health is compromised is unable to tolerate a few worms. Furthermore, a truly healthy dog would not be susceptible to either type of worm in the first place.

It seems to me that the real problem is that allopathic attitudes have instilled in many of us a fear of disease, fear of pathogens and parasites, fear of rabies, as if these are evil and malicious entities just waiting to lay waste to a naive and unprotected public. Disease is not caused by viruses or by bacteria or by heartworm-bearing mosquitoes. Disease comes from within, and one aspect of disease can be the susceptibility to various pathogens. So the best thing to do is to address those susceptibilities on the deepest possible level, so that the pathogens will no longer be a threat. Most importantly, don't buy into the fear.

That having been said, there are practical considerations of risk versus benefit in considering heartworm prevention. The risk of a dog contracting heartworms is directly related to geographic location. In heavily infested areas the risk is higher, and the prospect of using a preventive drug more justifiable. Whatever you choose to do, a yearly blood test for heartworm microfilaria is important.

There are basically three choices with regard to heartworm prevention: drugs, nosodes, or nothing. There are currently a variety of heartworm preventive drugs, most of which are given monthly. I don't like any of them due to their toxicity, the frequency of side effects, and their tendency to antidote homeopathic remedies. Incidentally, the once-a-month preventives should be given only every 6 weeks.

The next option is the heartworm nosode. It has the advantage of at least not being a toxic drug. It has been in use it for over 10 years now, and I am reasonably confident that it is effective. It is certainly very safe. The biggest problem with the nosode is integrating it with homeopathic treatment. But at least it's less of a problem than with the drugs.

The last option, and in my opinion the best, is to do nothing. That is to say, do nothing to specifically prevent heartworm, but rather to minimize the chances of infestation by helping your dog to be healthier, and thereby less susceptible. This means avoiding those things that are detrimental to health, feeding a high quality homemade diet, regular exercise, a healthy emotional environment, and, most of all, constitutional homeopathic treatment. Of course, this will not guarantee that your dog will not get heartworms, but, under these conditions, even the worst-case scenario isn't so terrible. If your dog were to get heartworms, s/he shouldn't develop any symptoms as a result. For what it's worth, I never gave my dog any type of heartworm preventive, even when we lived in the Santa Cruz area where heartworms were very prevalent. I tested him yearly, and he never had a problem.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 pm 

I have kind of a funny and sick story to tell about this. i built a large, 5000 gal koi pond last spring. the dogs love to drink and play around it. sage loves to swim in it:-) anyway i was using a treatment for the pond as i had added new fish, it contained tea tree oil, well the dogs had all been dringing the water and guess what i found. sage had a lagre tape worm! well all i can figure is drinking that water expelled it? now my dogs are worm free ...

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion