Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Flea Problems
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 pm 

We've been having some real bad flea issues and we've tried some different stuff on them. We tried beneficial nematodes for a few weeks and they didn't even put a dent in the hatching cycle, then we sprayed all the kennels with pesticide and that knocked them down for about three days. We just got done dipping all the dogs and they've already got newly hatched fleas on them. I usually don't care about the fleas, but they're real bad this year and they're starting to bite me. I don't want to go to the vet and blow $400 on flea meds. Does anyone else have any suggestions for flea control?

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post subject: Re: Flea Problems
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:04 pm 

Bayer Tree and Shrub

Get it from Walmart for cheap. Use it directly on the dogs back, just like flea drops. I use 10 or 12cc, or just put it in a spray bottle and rub it in. Then treat the yard as per directions.

I had a major flea issue a couple of years ago and did this once per week for a month. The problem was cured.

Steve

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm 

Thanks, Steve, we'll give that a try.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The Bayer Tree & Shrub only comes with fertilizer now....I didn't think I should be putting that on the dogs, so we use Ortho Tree & Shrub now. I get it at Lowe's.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm 

Ah, ok. I guess we'll see what our local store has. Has anyone used diatomaceous earth on their dogs? Some one at the feed store said it worked well to kill live fleas and it's organic and all that good stuff.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:12 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yep, we use DE as well. We mainly use it for puppies and for Aggie when she's pregnant or nursing. It works well if you only have a few fleas, or a small area to cover, but it didn't make a dent in the hard-core flea problem we had last summer.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:35 pm 

Alright, thanks. I thought it might work well to use in the kennels so the nematodes work on the larva and the DE kills what they miss. Our kennels are only like 10' x 50', I think.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

OK, I was going to stay out of this, but its just not in me to do so.

Please do not use a tree and shrub pesticide on your dogs. First and least of all, it is illegal. But, why is it illegal? Simple. It has not been tested on animals, it has been tested on trees and shrubs. Obviously, there is a lot of difference between animals and trees. When a poison (chemical) is developed it is tested for use on specific things, such as a tree and shrub product. A tree and shrub product can sometimes be used on grass, but chances are, it will kill the grass, or it has to be used in a smaller amount to not kill the grass. I have had a terrible summer with all the huge grasshoppers out here. I got a product to use on trees and shrubs. Didnt pay attention and used it on my flowers. Killed them deader that a doornail. Read the label and to use that product on grass or flowers, you have to use a weaker amount. When you use a bug killer on the grass, the bag will tell you to not let your animals on the grass until it is at least dry. All of these things are on the bag because the poison company has done testing on their product and they know that it is dangerous under lots of conditions. They know that it can kill humans if it is used wrong, that is why it has a skull and cross bones on it. That is why it says to read ALL of the label before using. They have to cover themselves for the laws that are in effect with poisons and they have to cover all the people who use their product in ways that it was NOT intended to be used.

When you put a product straight on your dogs that has not been tested for use on animals, you have absolutely no idea what that will do to the dogs liver or any of the other organs. Using it one time on a healthy dog will probably not kill it but remember, just because the dog doesnt keel over dead after you put it on the dog, doesnt mean that its not killing the dog. Using it on a dog that has been treated time and time again with poisons for worming, fleas, ticks, etc, only weakens the dog. Using it on a dog that has been vaccinated even once only weakens the dog. Using it on a dog that is being fed kibble, wormed, poisoned time and time again is flat out killing your dog.

Now, lets look at hog dogs in particular. A hog dog has to be up on its game by the nature of what it does. If that dog gets a little sluggish, its gonna get hurt. When it gets hurt, the dog depends on its immune system to heal. An immune system that is beat down by poisons being used on it without knowing the internal damage that you are doing to the dog is a recipe for disaster for that dog. If you have a good or a great hog dog, why on earth would you want to run the risk of killing that dog of cancer or the risk of it not being able to overcome a hog attack because of something that you used to get rid of fleas?

When using poisons on your animals, ask yourself if you would pour that same crap on your child? Its the same thing. Dogs are no stronger in fighting off the use of chemicals than the human is. We know that chemicals are killing us, we know that chemicals cause cancer. When you put that poison on your dogs back, you are killing your dog as surely as the fleas, it just takes more and takes longer.

Just my $2.22 cents worth.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 pm 

Thanks for your post. I know I just got some flea spray in my eye a couple of days ago and I had an allergic reaction to it. Definately will be laying off that stuff, as it's really uncomfortable to me and I imagine it is for the dogs, too.

I was mainly looking for stuff to put out in the yard and around the kennel. Since the organic stuff is just not strong enough to control the insane flea population this year, we have to use pesticides. My dad tries to always use natural stuff outside and we usually use nematodes and they are amazing in keeping the fleas down, but we used enough for ten acres in our kennels over the past month and they haven't done anything. I got a cheap sample of Comfortis from the vet for all my dogs and it killed all their fleas in like five minutes and I haven't seen one on them yet. lol Amazing little pill. They're still covering the yard, but at least my dogs won't become anemic due to the fleas.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:48 pm 

With all due respect, it is the exact same chemical as the #1 selling flea medication sold by Vets, diluted substantially and a whole lot less expensive.

Remember the dog wags the pedigree and the reverse is not true.

16, intelligent and articulate, I'm a fan!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:35 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
With all due respect, it is the exact same chemical as the #1 selling flea medication sold by Vets, diluted substantially and a whole lot less expensive.

Well, Steve, if you know that to be a fact, then I guess that I am wrong. You are a whole lot smarter than I am, no doubt about that. Me being like I am tho, I still would not use a poison on my dog that wasnt labeled for use on dogs. If I was like you and knew the poisons to be the same, then it might be different. I dont know the things that you know, but I do know this: Poisons kill. Using poisons on animals is not a bit different than using it on ourselves. Would you pour that poison on yourself? Who determines how much you put on the dogs? Who says that it is safe to use it 4 times in a month? Who says how long the poison will stay in the ground? Is the ground then safe for my grandchildren to run around barefooted on? These are all things that we should ask ourselves and that we should KNOW before using poisons.

I could get rid of fleas just as easily by being faithful in using natural products as you were in using poisons. The secret to getting rid of fleas is to stay at it. Which is exactly what Steve did by spraying weekly. You cant spray once or twice and expect to get rid of them. I can use a perfectly safe product, Cedarcide, and by using it as faithfully as you did, kill the fleas and not kill the liver of the dog. It's probably not as cheap, but it makes the dogs smell good, you can put it on yourself before going walking and it repels bugs, ticks included, as well as killing the bugs that may be on the dog. If the dog has dry skin, the oil in it nourishes the dry skin and I can use it as freely on my grandkids as I do the dogs and not one of them will be the worse for it.

I know that I will never convince many people to use a lavendar mist on their lacy dogs to keep the fleas away. That just isnt going to happen!! :)) But, there are products out there that are not poison to you or your dog that will work if you stay with it.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I have used orange oil mixed with water on my kennels every couple of weeks . Sprayed it out of a ortho or scotts dial sprayer . I have a friend in pest control who turned me on to that ,he also told me that liquid dish detergant out of same sprayer works well .He prefers the dish detergant. I have tried both and I do not have any fleas problems.I guessworks, it could just be one of those urban legends . Just my 2 cents .

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:43 pm 

Rachel we use DE all over the kennels, for fleas and for flies. I even use it on the steers and the horse pens. It is dirt cheap. I also spray the dogs with Adams flea and tick with mesquito repelent in it. We have had no problems with anything. I even hardly have flies now. The only bd part of DE is if it is windy you are covered. I like it because if it gets into the water or on their food I know it is safe.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 pm 

I'd really like to try that stuff. I heard you can even just feed it to the dogs and it works like dewormer.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 pm 

i use a pill from the vet called comfortis it is a little expensive (12 dollars a pill) but it is by far the best flea killer and deterate i have ever used it starts killing adult fleas in 30 minutes or less and after those 30 minutes any flea that bites the dog dies instantly and as new fleas from the ground jump on and bite they also die, as the eggs hatch they bite and die. i had fleas so bad you could not even walk in my yard without them just swarming you and they were coming in my house i used this stuff and within 3mths you couldn't find a flea if you wanted to. you give it to the dog once a month for three months. it is a chewable tablet and i believe you can only get from a vet

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion