Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:01 pm 

Well we woke up Christmas morning to poop and vomit all over our living room; I thought Santa let the reindeer into the house.... Found out Red was the culprit and he was not eating and was sick. Red didn't/wouldn't eat all day, then still wouldn't eat next morning so I took him to the vet on 12/26 did some x-rays and saw what the vet believed was fluid I was concerned he may have a blockage in his bowels but after discussing with the Vet we decided to wait on the Barium because as far as I knew he did not eat any hard bone and I thought he may have a flu or might had gotten a hold of something bad when he was running in the woods. Although we were concerned about the spot in the x-ray they suggested it could be fluid which is causing Red to be upset and that it might work itself out, so the Vet kept him for the day. At the end of the day Red still did not eat but to make him more comfy I took him home with meds. Next day yesterday he still did not eat all day, started thinking maybe it a bully stick which I had forgotten he ate a few days before Christmas, took him in today for a barium test to check blockage but it was no need to do barium they could feel his abdomen was hard and something was stuck, they did surgery this afternoon and removed a sock (or cloth material), and he is now resting and stable. I haven't seen him yet but I can take him home tonight to monitor him through the night and take him back to Vet tomorrow to continue with fluid and they can assure he is OK.

Will send an update tomorrow

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry to hear about that, Hope all goes well with his recovery!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry to hear Joe. Hope all is well. Keep us posted

I will let Betty tell you the story of the mystery tumor one of our dogs had once. Took her in for surgery and the tumor was gone. #:-s

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:12 pm 

Thanks everyone... well Red stayed with me last night because the vets do not have someone there at nighttime... He was heavily medicated when I picked him up and he settled up nicely until about 1AM when he started whimpering, I had him on his bed next to a sofa were I laid. After he started whimpering I took him outside and he exploded from the rear, which was to be expected. Took him back inside and he whimpered on and off throughout the night...
This morning he had a lot of his energy and seemed to be looking for food. I took him back to the vet to go back onto fluids and so they could feed and monitor his first feeding. All reports are good so far and I was just notified I could bring him home for good tonight at 7:30… Ya- hoo! I have really become attached to this new pup and a few days ago I was really concerned I was gonna lose him. I am so happy he is gonna be OK

WOW..here is a photo of the cloth, rag or sock that Red swallowed and was stuck in his colon, I put a quarter to the left so you could have an idea of how big this thing was...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:56 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Oh my gosh, that is big!!! No wonder he was sick!! So glad that he is feeling better!! Seems like pups just gotta chew! He must have really worked to get that all swallowed.

Rob was talking about our dog Bridgette and what we went thru with her. We had a good dove season one year and everyone got their daily limit over the weekend. They cleaned the dove as usual, just taking the breast and the rest of the bird was abandoned. Bridgette found all of that and must have eaten as much as she would hold. She was sick after that and I suspected that she had found the dove. She quit eating and was really sick, so I wound up taking her to the vet. He did some xrays and found what he said was a tumor on her pancreas. He pretty much told us that Bridgette was dieing and that there was nothing that could be done. He scheduled her for exploratory surgery a couple of days later. Then, all heck broke loose inside her and she pooped tons of white stuff. After that, she started eating. I took her to her appointment, told the vet about how much better she was doing. He did another xray and the 'tumor' was gone. We were very relieved to say the least. Seems that all the bone had blocked the bile duct and until it moved on, she was really sick.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:31 pm 

Update on Red he is now home and progressing well, he has gotten back his energy and is ready to hit the woods (only I can't let him yet) per Vet he still needs a few days of rest. I appoligize about the gross photo taken of what was wedged in Red's bowels, but here is one of the sutures which are about 6" and a few of him taken today as you can see he lost weight, I guess he lost about 8 Lbs. but he is recovering well. Sorry for the pic quality they were taken with my blackberry

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:17 pm 

Betty the same expereince you had with Bridgette was the same thing we had for the 4 days with Red, he just laid around, wouldn't eat and just acted Bla! I wish he had pushed it through god knows it would had been a lot cheaper but the vet said there was no way it would had passed and they have never had a cloth so jammed and tight that swelled the colon like this did, she said it took a lot of effort to even getting it out during surgery. I am glad he is doing OK now and is back to 100% lacy puppy.
FYI: While I was reading your story of bridgette eating the dove I kept picturing Tweety Bird and Tom (Tom and Jerry) and the cartoon Tom cat burping a feather LOL. I guess Brudgette ate a bit to much but as I know you already know some fur and feathers when feeding raw help clean the colon

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

wow, what a large cut the vet had to do and it was oh so close....glad your hound is bouncing back, that was scary.

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:47 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Man I just saw this wow that is crazy so glad he is doing ok Joe !!

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion