Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Re: Rosie Spayed
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:54 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Justin,

Get some Hyland's Nerve Tonic or Hyland's Calms and dissolve it in her water, see if that helps. You can also get Rescue Remedy in a spray form. It's kinda expensive. I know that you can get things like lavender, rosemary, etc in sprays. If you could get her calmed enough with the spray, then you could perhaps give her an actual dose of the Rescue Remedy. Not sure that it would help, but it would be worth a try. Better than what is going on now. It would not be a cure, but would better things.

The homeopathic- Bella Donna- might help her. You can read about Bella Donna here: http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Bell You have to get it down her first tho!! It can be dissolved in water and given to her. Contact me if you want and we can talk about it.

There is a good homeopathic in Wimberley- you dont have to go see her, can just email her, then talk with her. Betsy Harrison <drbetsy@gvtc.com>

What is going on with her now is not something that an allopathic doctor will be able to help, other than to drug her, etc. Since Rosie has shown aggression problems before, I believe that this is much deeper than what a vet can help. Since you live in Austin, I know that there are natural and homeopathic vets there, if you feel like you need to actually see a person.

I think that Joe and Roni are both right in what they are saying, but I am going to add a bit to that. When a dog has issues, of any kind, and we, as humans, go in and make changes to the physical body, we simply dont know what a can of worms that we are opening. Adding more allopathic medicine to the mess that is already there will not do anything but make more of a mess. Rosie needs help that allopathic med cannot give her.

At any rate, I hope that you can get help for her and you. If you feel the need to treat her with medicine right now, do that, then get some natural therapies going for her.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:32 pm 

Update...so this morning was just like yesterday, couldn't get in so decided to throw in pieces of food while she could see me, and I also through in high value treats....cheese. She relaxed enough for me to get ahold of her leash, and I took her out for a walk. I shut the door to the mud room so she cannot access it. She's doing good right now, but keeps going to the door. Amongst all this I found some articles about false pregnancies; if you haven't heard of this, it is very, very interesting. It talks of treating objects like puppies, lactating, etc. Before the spay she was guarding clothes, however not viciously. I'm thinking this whole time afterwards she has been "protecting puppies" in her room. I also checked her teats, guess what? LACTATING!!!! I will take her to vet tomorrow and talk about this, and have her checked out to make sure she's not having any complications. Wow, what a ride! Hopefully, this goes away soon.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm 

That's interesting Justin.... I hope you are able to work out her issues soon and find whatever it is that's making her agressive... good luck looks like you have a starting point.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

How is Rosie today, were you able to get her to the Vet?
Grandmadawg

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm 

Thanks for asking grandmadawg. Well, we took a few steps backwards yesterday. She started acting out again and the safest thing I could do was put her in her portable kennel. She stayed there for almost 24 hours. My vet was good enough to get some sedative for her yesterday, however, they did nothing more than make her sleepy. She was still too aggressive to let her out. This morning I took her in the kennel, growling and snapping. The vet gave her a more powerful sedative and was able to give her a thorough exam. Everything with the spay was good, and she was otherwise in good health. I brought her home and so far so good. I haven't let her in the house off the leash all day because I can tell she is still showing pseudo pregnancy symptoms. She has been outside, no signs of aggression, she's obeying commands and feeding from my hand. She has however, dug a "nest". If I get close enough, I can see her tense a bit. So I've been giving her space and call her from a distance and she'll come to me no problem. The vet has talked about a hormone drug (I cannot think of the name at the moment) that will put her "back into estrus", which should speed up getting over this false pregnancy. She said it could last a couple of weeks to a full gestational cycle. So I'm considering this, as I definitely don't want to be doing this for 2 months. Anyhow, I think tomorrow will tell me a lot more after I know she's completely back from sedation. But so far so good, and I'm learning a lot in the process.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm 

Betty,

I've been reading your posts, and I'm putting the nerve tonic in her water. I had some success with that in the past, when you suggested it before. I'd most certainly rather do things as natural as possible. My wife also was telling me about a pheromone of some sort that is supposed to help keep them at ease. I felt really bad for her today, but sedating her was the only safe way I felt to get things turned around a bit.

This whole ordeal has been crazy! Everything that has been going on now makes complete sense after finding out about pseudo pregnancy. Explains why the vet said she was in heat, the false pregnancy causes the uterus to do its thing which would look as if she was in heat. Also, comes on 6-12 weeks after the heat cycle (Rosie was in heat in November!) Nesting and mothering objects, she was already starting to do that before I took her for the surgery. Lactating, that we discovered yesterday. Who would've thought a dog would lactate without puppies? Not me. So, hormones doing funky things already, then they get thrown out of whack by a spay=one feisty Lacy Dog.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:52 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I never would have dreamed of these kinds of issues when having a dog spayed. It must be tough having to see her go through this.

Note to self: pay close attention to the timing of when we get Paradise spayed.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:27 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Justin,

I completely understand you having to do what is necessary. I just meant that if the aggression continues that you dont want to keep her drugged for the rest of her life. I believe that there are so many better ways of dealing with problems than drugs and I only suggested natural care to you because you and I have talked about natural care before. I use drugs when an emergency calls for it, as everyone should. Then, seek out a better way! :D The pheromone sounds logical if you can find it.

Lucy went thru a false pregnancy after we tried to breed her the first time and she wasnt at the right point for breeding. It is truly a weird part of nature!! Posting your problems here with Rosie is such a good thing, as people are learning and hopefully, some other dogs and people will be helped by reading all of this.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 am 

Most definitely Betty, I don't want to keep her drugged forever . I think she'll pull out of it soon. I just have to establish new boundaries and pay close attention to the signals she's giving off. When I think back she was giving off certain signals, but I only realize it now.

Also, I tried to save sone money and had her spayed at the humane society. I'm not sure, but in hindsight I wish I had my own vet do it. I would assume she would've asked me questions and maybe run some tests, which may have pointed out some reasons not to spay at this time. Maybe not. But if I was a vet and knew pseudo pregnancy could set in 6-12 weeks after heat, and found out the dog had been doing motherly things through a questionaire, I would suggest waiting. Ah, well, who knows. I think the better choice would've been Rosie's vet.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 am 

Ed, definitely pay attention. Especially if yours is a handful like mine.

Betty, I have aired all this out on here for the exact reason you said. I hope this will help other folks when they go to make decisions about their dog or start noticing strange behaviors that they cannot explain.

One more thing. I have taken way all blankets, pads, toys, food, etc. She is protecting all those "puppies". As long as they're not around she's doing pretty good. If she does get testy, I give her a strong NO!, then she remembers her place.

This website is interesting...http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pseudocyes ... page1.aspx

Last edited by jtslush on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

glad theres some improvement.........hope it continues

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You have done a great job with all of this Justin keep it up !

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Our pit bull Cookie also had a false pregnancy a few years ago. It was so strange, and I had never heard of it then.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 pm 

Slush,

My bullmastiff went through the exact same thing, don't worr y it happens. She was the nicest dog and went loco after the spay thinking she had a puppy come to find out she was holding a ball as her puppy and after a few weeks things got to normal

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm 

Definetly interesting I have never heard of anything like this...even though I have males this post has sure been interesting and a good learning experience..

sounds like a lot of hard work and you and the family are sacrificing a lot to make her right Justin,

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion