Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Parvo
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I saw on the forum about CAMO loosing a couple of pups to parvo. I lost every pup in two litters I had last year to parvo. I have learned a lot about parvo since last year. It is a virus that stays in the soil for up to 7 years unless treated. Only UV rays and bleach can kill it from what I understand. Vaccinations don't help puppies that are still nursing, because the mother's milk counteracts the vaccination. The vaccine needs to be given the day after you wean them off the mother and every 10 days there after for at least 3 booster shots prior to being sold or transported. I have some stuff called Parvaid that helps with early symptoms, but I.V.'s for fluids, I.V.'s for food, I.V.'s for antibiotics and oral medications for diarrhea are absolutely necessary if they get even a little weak or sickly. Some pups will require a blood transfusion as well. This all costs about $2000-$3000. How do I know all this, you ask? I just saved a tri male pup's life this month and that was the costs of the vet. bill. This can be avoided with some home remedies that I have had great success with if you catch it in time. Last year I managed to save a couple of pups that I purchased who had contracted parvo by giving them an old timer's remedy, 1cc of bleach diluted with 10cc of water orally, it was the only thing that was done and the pups did just fine. If the bleach/water mix is given at the earliest signs, it seems to kill the parvo virus inside their little system. If not caught early enough you will need to go through a more involved process as follows: You will still need to give them anti-diarrhea meds hourly (Pepto Bismol) orally, fluids hourly (pedialite) orally and give liquid food for basic nutrition (blended rice, yogurt), (something easy on the stomach like a human would need, no meat, no dog food, no dairy products) oraly every hour for 24 hours for about 3-5 days. You really have to have 3 other good hearted people to help with this rigorous schedule. You can't cure Parvo, you can only treat the symptoms until they get over it, which takes about 3-5 days. Once the pup or pups seem to hold down their food and have a little more energy you can feed them raw blended liver and maybe some raw eggs, but only if they are holding down their foods. If they get chilled you must control their fever just like with a human, extra blankets etc. just know that with fever comes more dehydration, which requires more fluids, they can dehydrate very quickly due to their small size, which will cause organs to shut down. Here is a good web site for more detailed information. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heal_parvo.html
I am now learning about what appears to be stillborn pups, gyps laying on pups and other things to try and avoid. I'll post on the forum later what I learn.
If anyone has any helpful information, I am all ears, I can't stand loosing pups to parvo.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm 

Good thread bobby

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm 

The time in my life when I did breed some catch dogs I built a puppy/whelping pen that was concreted. I did this after the first litter, which I lost a few pups to parvo. Basically it cost money, but paid for it self by not loosing any more pups out of the remaining 4 litters. My goal was to keep the pups on the the concrete until after they were whelped and already had the first round of shots for a week. I also took the pups out once a week and put them in a crate. This allowed me to wash out the pen once a week with bleach. It really did work well.

Post subject: Re: Parvo
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Great info bobby thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:49 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

great info.....Thanks Bobby for posting........

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
Once the pup or pups seem to hold down their food and have a little more energy you can feed them raw blended liver and maybe some raw eggs,

Bobby, have you ever given raw liver and raw eggs to a dog? I am curious as raw liver and raw eggs both have the effect of giving diarrhea to healthy dogs. It is well know in raw feeding that liver and raw eggs will give a dog diarrhea and when you feed it to a dog, that you feed just a little bit to avoid the watery stool. Not sure why it would not do the same to a pup who is recovering from the diarrhea from parvo.

I can see why one would think that the liver would be good, but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial if it goes right through the pup? Anyhow, would like to know if anyone has ever done the liver and eggs.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion