Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: teeth
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've been wondering when puppies begin to lose their baby teeth and get their permanent teeth? I'm thinking that maybe when Abe gets his permanent teeth, that they might close up the cleft palette some.

He is doing really good, but has trouble lapping up stuff. We still give him most of his water from a baby bottle. When he laps up liquids, it goes straight up his nose. Then he has to sneeze it all out. Even ice cream melts and comes out his nose, bless his heart! He makes up for his problems in being tough tho. He is a real meany!! Puts Larry in his place all the time!! But, then, Larry is just a big sweetheart that likes to kill things!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: teeth
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:13 pm 

Puppies usually start loosing their puppy teeth and growing their adult teeth at around 4 months old.

Most owners don't even notice, which is funny since that is such a milestone in a child's childhood we have a special fairy for it! lol But pups lost teeth rarely get noticed until it's a front tooth that is obvious.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:27 am 

What is the best thing to clean their teeth with? The weenies have yucky teeth. I thought them eating raw would help, but it is not. I may have to take them back to the vet and have them cleaned again. that is just not cheap.... Any advice would be great.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:39 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Shannon,

What kind of bone are the weenies eating? I dont have any experience feeding raw to small dogs, but it sounds to me like they arent getting enough teeth cleaning by cleaning meat off of bones. A dog, regardless of size, needs different types of bones to clean their teeth. You need to give them some kind of bones that will require them to use their front teeth to pull the meat off of the bone. Then, they need something that will require them to get the meat and bone in the back of their mouths and crunch it so that they have to break and chew the bone, thus cleaning the back teeth.

Since I dont feed small dogs, its hard for me to know specifically which bones would be good for them. You may have to experiment with them to find what are the best bones for them. Be sure that you give them large pieces of meat with bone that they have to work on.

Do you feed them in their crates? You may have to let them have plenty of time for them to chew on the bones and, you may have to put down something that you will have to take away and then give it back to them.

Weight bearing bones are supposedly too hard for dogs to chew on, but a deer leg, cut just above the knee, will give a dog a good work out pulling the meat off. Then, when the bone is bare, throw it away. The dog gets very little calcium from that type of bone, but gets the teeth cleaned.

I know that bones for small dogs has been discussed on the chat group, many times, so I will do some searching and see what I can find that will help.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Having raw fed a couple of Chihuahua's, it's hard to find bony meat that they can crunch through, and their teeth are never as clean as the larger dogs. And of course you need to feed them where they can work on it without having it taken away. You also need to be careful of bones covered with meat that they think they can swallow but can't. Small dogs are more likely to try and swallow something they shouldn't, since it is harder for them to cut through the bone.

My Lacy Cannon gets a lot of whole fish (Tilapia) that works well... also poultry that he slices through.. and pork shoulder where I take the bone away once he has stripped it clean of everything including the cartilege. His teeth sparkle.. :-)

I think I'd try fish, since the bones are pretty easy to bite through, and it might help clean their teeth up.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

This is a chat room response from one who doesnt feed weight bearing bones and why. Then, she goes on and discusses bones for small dogs.

"*** We don't. I actually had a slab fracture happen when one of my
small dogs was chewing on a buffalo bone, so after the pain, expense
and loss of one of my girls premolars, it's not worth the risk to me.
Additionally, if the dog just licks out the marrow, it is not
providing any tooth benefit. I have found that the best tooth
cleanings for my small dogs have been from feeding pork and lamb
bones that can almost be fully consumed and if you can get your hands
on it, the very best are animal parts with the hide and fur still on
them. Pork feet with the hide/fur still on are really good and I was
able to get EMU feet recently where the hide is really hard to get
off so it cleans their teeth really well. It took them about 4 hours
a day for 3 days to strip them of their skin. If she likes to strip
the bones, she may enjoy stripping the hide of some animal parts and
get a good cleaning that way."

I did find in several other posts, that people with small dogs feed turkey legs, chicken backs (which I never was able to find), turkey necks and such. Just remember that the dogs need something that they have to work on chewing. I think that deer rib bones would be ok for them also. Even my big dogs have to work to strip the meat off of the bone. I cant see you feeding emu feet, but you get the idea about the dogs working to clean the bone.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:40 pm 

Well It looks like it will be pork bones. I did pork not that long ago and Cabela tried to rip her toe out, I think she got confussed about what was a bone and what was not. Needless to say it hasn't ever healed correctly. I will give her a smaller bone..
They eat chicken like it is a oyster, we had to start giving smaller pieces since they where forgetting an important detail CHEWING!!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:00 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've heard people say that puppies are 'piranhas', but what they really are is pythons. As soon as something will go down the throat, that's where it goes. If a piece of meat is long and narrow, it will just be swallowed. Bones will be either sliced up into small enough pieces with those scissor canines, or just crunched up inside the meat so it will go down. Then down it goes. That's why the only real risk is bones covered with meat that won't quite make it down the throat.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:59 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jim,

You are sure right about puppies and swallowing food. When Abe was smaller, I would give him chunks of meat that I thought that there was no way that he could swallow it. He would chew a time or two, then swallow it. He would yelp in pain, all the way down, until it hit his stomach. I reviewed the Heimlich Method for dogs, just in case!!

Shannon,
If the weenies have been swallowing chicken like oysters, then its really no wonder that the teeth havent cleaned up. I have read and like Jim said, the smaller dogs dont get the white sparkly teeth like bigger dogs. See if Alex can get a rib cage from who ever processes his deer and just let the weenies have at it ever so often. Also, we cut the deer spine into several pieces and the dogs have to work to get the meat off of it. I dont know how much meat is left on a processed deer, but there is plenty left on after we have butchered a deer ourselves. If they are gulping their food, then when you give them a bone, make sure that it is a big one - bigger than their heads, that they will have to chew on. A big pork bone can be had by buying pork neck bones. Some people dont like them because of the sharp edges, but pork is a fairly soft bone and they should be able to chew the corners off easy enough. I would be leary of just regular pork chop bones, as they might try to swallow one that had a sharp edge on it. With my larger dogs, I dont worry about that, but with the weenies being gulpers, I see it as a problem. You dont want to do this all the time, but just work a good bone in every few days and count it as teeth cleaning, not food.

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion