Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: OFA Certification
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:04 am 

Mike and I have been looking into having all of our breeding pairs OFA Certified.
Although the Lacy has shown no visible or documented genetic problems that doesn't mean that the possibility in not there. Nothing is genetically perfect.

We've been researching the subject and the fact that respected Kennel Clubs often require such health verifications before registering litters. Specifically with breeds prone to genetic disorders. As responsible breeders we're thinking it would be a good idea. Then we are not just saying that these dogs have no known genetic disorders,we are able to actually back it up with OFA certifications .

It's not cheap by any means to have it done so it will be a slow process for us (we have 9 Lacy Dogs) I think in the end though it will have been well worth it. We have already participated in a DNA research program but they do not certify anything as it is for a research group beyond just the Lacy breed. They do alert you if something comes up with your dogs analysis though. Nothing has with our Lacy dogs.

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post subject: Re: OFA Certification
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:54 pm 

Mis- I know that it really helps in the lab world, but Labs are known to have hip problems. The dogo people also do cert. on the hearing of their dogs. I think it is great but is the cost worth the effort? Not saying it isnt, I just dont know what the vet charges for all of it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think having your dogs OFA certified is a good thing, that being said I dont know if thats what you need to do. If theres been no hip issues you may just be spinning your wheels. Some breeders OFA everything or require it to be done inorder to warranty their dogs. Usually they say the report has to be good or better anything less and they will replace the animal.

Another thing to consider is the vet doing the exam, make sure their xray equipment is good enough to certify your animals, some vets can tell you how the hips look but cant certify.

Good luck with your decision

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:55 pm 

Fortunately George Town is not to far from us, and there are several animal hospitals there equipped to do the X-Rays to the O.F.A.'s specification.

I found a good one, ironically enough, via the A.K.C.
My new pup (not a Lacy) is A.K.C. and with her papers came a certificate for her first vet exam and the A.K.C. sent me a list of vets in our area that are part of their program as well as qualified for the exam specifications for breeds requiring O.F.A. cert. as well as D.N.A. verification ect...

The O.F.A.'s prices on certification are not much at all, it's the vet end that gets high.
Though none of our dogs have displayed any signs of dysplacia or given us cause for concern, as a working breed with potential "English Shepard" DNA, we can't rule out the potential.

It's kind of like the CGC, not necessary but it sure reflects well on the dogs & the breeder.

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If I was a breeder, I would get my dogs OFA certified, at least hips and maybe even elbows. Why? Because this is a working breed. Lacys should be active dogs can work well into their adult years. I cannot think of anything worse than a driven dog that can't move.

Because Lacys have never been certified, we really don't know whether they currently have good joints or not. Sure, our dogs are OK right now, but will they be OK in 10 years? Maybe some lines are deteriorating and we have no idea because no one is looking for it. Since Lacys haven't had the best genetic management, a three generation pedigree is insufficient for tracking health issues, people could be unwittingly line breeding health problems. Yes, I think it is a long shot, but it is still a possibility.

Total cost for OFA certification runs around $200-$300 per dog. That may sound expensive, but if you think of the impact it could have for generations to come, it's a small price to pay. The point of ethical breeding isn't to make a profit, it is to better the breed, and if there are health certifications that assist you in that mission, why wouldn't you do it?

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion