Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Over heating dogs?
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:52 am 

Are there any special tricks to help a dog get back to normal when they are over heating?

Post subject: Re: Over heating dogs?
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:58 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I'm curious to hear what the others have to say about this. We've never had a bay dog overheat, but our catch dog Shelly did last weekend. DJ stripped her gear off and carried her to the nearest pond. She was ok, but it was scary.

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think Amber's suggestion of getting their entire body wet is pretty practical for hog dogs. During the summer, I've seen Mike pick up Maya and Diva by their vests and dunk them in every tank we pass. Prevention is key, keeping a dog cool is far easier than cooling an overheated dog down.

We just talked about this at agility class this week. Apparently two dogs died a couple years ago at an agility meet in Texas from overheating. Some of these suggestions aren't practical or necessary, but I can definitely think of ways to apply the concepts to working dogs.

There were several collars and small vests that you either soak in cold water, fill with ice cubes or put in the fridge or freezer to make the cool before hand. I'd imagine that could work pretty well with cut gear, even for the bay dogs with their collars. Keeping the throat and face area cool is apparently very efficient. And I'd think soaking and freezing a cut vest would keep the pits cool for a long time.

They recommended cool coats, like these http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fusea ... entCat=152, for dark dogs. Essentially it is white mesh, so it reflects the sun without holding in heat, plus you can soak it in water for an extra cooling effect. Totally unpractical for hog dogs, but a good idea for blues and tris playing or working in the sun.

Also, dogs do sweat through their pads, so getting their feet cool helps a lot. They said letting your dog stand in a pool, on a cold towel or even rubbing ice on the pads was a great way to speed up the process. And of course drinking enough water is crucial. So it might be a good idea to start bringing a little cooler with some bottles of water and a bag of ice on hunting trips. Heck, you could just tuck ice along the edge of the cut vest or collar, letting it melt and drip down their sides.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Soaking and freezing the collar and/or vest is a great idea!

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:57 pm 

I heard dunking a overheated dog in a pond or tank will put it in shock. Last night my catch dog over heated to where she couldn't move or anything, so i just rubbed water on her, put it on her pads, and poured water in her mouth. I had a guy tell me to put honey in their gums to put sugar back in their system to help them come out of shock.

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:50 pm 

When we go bare-ground hunting we pack gatorade in insulated saddle-bags with ice packs for us and the dogs. That way we have a nice cold drink and we can keep sodium in the dogs and leep them cool and hydrated.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really wanna go out and get a thrill let them go up into the northwest and tangle with a grizzly bear, polar bear a brown bear they'll get a thrill that will cleanse the soul" Fred Bear

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:37 pm 

Patrick you're correct, once they have over heated you do not want to just dunk them in water. Mike throws them in the ponds & tanks during the hunt to cool them down to prevent over heating.

I have been told a couple of times now that when a hunting dog has already over heated remove their vest & start with cool water on the ears and feet.As they cool down you can begin soaking the rest of their body.
Also been told sugar in the form of honey or glucose gel , placed on the tongue & roof of the mouth. GatorAid or Pedialite are good things to ALWAYS take on a hunt.

Had one fellow tell me to snip the dogs ear and let it bleed. Now I don't know that I would try that one.

Water is crucial on a hunt, take it with you for you & your dogs. Hydration is the biggest key to help prevent over heating.

My 2 cents ;)

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:57 pm 

I've always thought of giving the dogs gatoraid but I haven't ever given them any. I guess i shall start now.

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:42 pm 

My son was sharing Gatorade out of the bottle w/Ranger at the Play Day last Sat. Ranger apparently enjoyed it!

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:22 am 

I bet if you freeze gatorade before you go hunting and take that with you that way they have to lick it and not drink it too fast. You just will have to remember to freeze the drink.

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:27 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I would think that you would want to be careful with the Gatorade when they are really hot. I think Shannon's suggestion would be good. I havent had any Gatorade in a long time, but it used to have sugar in it and quite a bit of it. Honey and glucose are better than plain old sugar. They dont raise the blood sugar like plain sugar does. And, if Gatorade has high frutose corn syrup in it, I would be real careful with it on a really hot dog. There is a difference in hot athletes drinking it down and an over heated dog pouring a bunch of it down. JMHO
Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The last time that I was at walmart, I checked on the ingredients in Gatorade. It has sugar and high fructose corn syrup in it. There is a product on the same aisle as gatorade that is called Smart Water. It has only water and electrolytes in it. If I was out hunting my dogs, it was hot and I was worried about the dogs over heating, I would get some of it and keep it for the dogs and myself. I would keep it right along with the first aid kit.

Dogs arent usually fed a bunch of food that has sugar in it. They all probably get some, but not a lot. To give them a bunch of sugar when they are in danger of over heating, would be pretty bad, I would think. Since there is an alternative product out there, use it instead and dont run the risk of the added sugar problem.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm 

Pedialite it easy enough to carry (the single serving ones can be frozen to take) and it's safe enough for a baby ...

After the fact, like the day after an over heating, get some ensure (vanilla) and let them drink that. I know that in a dehydrated fevered parvo pup it works wonders so my assumption would be that it could help the over heated dog bounce back too.
It's harmless enough to try and they like it.. ;)

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion