Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Favoring a leg
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:47 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Cannon has been favoring his right front leg, off and on, for quite awhile. Everytime I think he is over it, I'll see him limping. I've tried again and again to find the spot that bothers him, but he doesn't react differently to any area I feel, and his reaction is the same whether I feel the right leg or the left leg.

He never whimpers, and if he wants to run or jump, then he runs or jumps. He "pogo stick" jumps all the time, whether he is on soft ground or cement, and is always up on a table and jumping off it.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be or what I should do other than get a frickin full leg X-ray at the vet$?

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Favoring a leg
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:48 pm 

Jim I`m sure you probably did BUT check his pad and make sure it doesn't have a little split or tear. OR maybe a splinter? Another thing might be his elbow joint. Trapper once got a piece of cactus right in that joint, there was no swelling or anything but he was gimpy off and on until it finally festered (visibly)

Hope it's noting major..I know those vet bills can get high..

~Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm 

I just had the same problem as Mis B explained. Ruby had been favoring her rear left paw from time to time. I looked at it and she never made a peep. Then Friday night she started to gnaw on it. By the time I figured out what she was doing her pad was all cracked. She's pretty much all better now after putting a boot on her paw and taped it all up so she couldn't take it off.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

If there is a problem with a pad, I can't find it. Same thing for any splinters, I just felt between the toes, felt and looked at the pads, felt all the joints and the muscles in between - I can't find anything, dang it!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:35 pm 

You know Jim with him "Pogoing" he may have strained a tendon..
Sure has me perplexed :-?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:23 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jim, have you noticed any patterns between his limping and either certain physical activities or changes in the weather and barometric pressure? How long does it last when it comes? I've had a similar issue with Sadie, though now that I think about it I haven't noticed anything in a long time.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've seen him favor it after a flat out run, but not always, which of course doesn't help figure it out. :-/ I'll have to track the weather, we are having a cooler and more humid spell right now... meaning it was only 93 today instead of the normal 105 for this time of year. LOL

Do all Lacys do the pogo stick thing? I'll video that and post it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:31 pm 

I have 3 that do..but the one that does it ALL the time is Ox..he looks like a Kangaroo sometimes jumping up and down up and down..totally entertaining for himself..and me :))

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty and I talked out Sadie's issue last year, and the only hypothesis that seemed to make sense was a touch of early onset arthritis. It was in her hind right leg. Never seemed to be a big issue, no real pain, just favoring it a little every so often. She is so active it made me a little nervous.

At first I thought it happened only after long hunts, but then I realized was more linked to changes in the weather. I think it was when the summer storms were coming and going. But I didn't notice it all winter long. I'll be looking to see if it comes back this summer with the high humidity when the pressure gets wacky.

I do wonder if there are any obvious similarities in Sadie and Cannon's pedigrees. In addition to being caused by things like vaccines, arthritis can be genetic.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Jim, awhile back Moms dog Larry had a simular problem. Ben and him came running up to the ranch house. When Larry reached the house he started limping. We looked for a thorn, cut, ect. but found nothing. Larry is a burser when he runs and "pogos" hard on his front paws. He would be fine one week and limping the next. He is fine now and I do not know what was wrong.

Ben managed to break a toe one day when he unloaded for the truck. It was tinder and swollen. It miraculusly got better hours after I payed the vet 100 buck ~X( .....I should have known....this is the same dog that got ran over without a broken bone or scrach!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Quote:
Do all Lacys do the pogo stick thing? I'll video that and post it.

2 of mine don't, but Piper sure does. She goes from flat-footed to looking me in the eye in a quarter of a second. And she likes to do it over, and over, and over...

Here's a picture from a while back when she was learning to sit. It wasn't going so well. :))

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:26 am 

A while back Otis was doing this skip/hop thing but only at certain gaits. I believe it was at the walk and trot. He could run fine. I kept looking him all over, pressing and pulling on his leg but he never complained. Ended up he had pulled out a toenail but I couldn't see that cause it was still attached. I guess it kept catching on the ground at certain times. Eventually I noticed it and clipped the remainder off. All better now
Rebecca

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hmmm... I'll check his nails. Thanks Rebecca.

And yep; that's the pogo stick! Over and over and over and over. Gives him huge haunch muscles, and if there is ever a Lacy slam-dunk contest, I'm entering Cannon.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:13 am 

Jim, I think Taylor AZ has a dog high jump contest. Its during the Trapper days, named after trapper hatch, thought I should include that incase jimmys reading.... :)) I will look into it and see what it involves. I know they have pulling contests etc. Sage or angie dont do that but sage can jump.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.--Unknown

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Dang... I thought I had this problem figured out, because I had a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment, realizing how much he jumps on and off the round picnic table we have in front of the house. It's his perch, but it's on flagstones and landing on that 20 or so times a day has to be hard on his joints. So we moved the table, and it looked that might solve things, but now he is still limping off and on. I hate to do it, but I might have to shut down his activity for a week or so :(

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion