Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:47 pm 

It's awesome how well they are doing! I`m so proud!
Sorry we have't been around much lately! We have been swamped with work, dogs & our oldest Kerrington Graduating.

Got your email though and the videos! Keep up the good work!

~Mike & Mis

http://www.nationallacydog.org/index.html
http://www.lacyhuntingdogs.bravehost.com

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:09 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Mis thanks Its good to hear from you guys hope all is going well .

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:31 pm 

In some bay pens that I've been to..the owner of the pen posted a new rule: "No encouraging or yipping or whatever chatter to the dogs are allowed anymore or points will be deducted". Man! I saw many people get p'od over that rule. Makes sense because if you're hunting the dog in the woods, are you by the dog's ear yipping or hollering? Don't think so :))

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I can't say I have heard of that and I have been to a lot of bays in the last 6 months . In Texas and Mississippi . Where was that bay at ?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I've occasionally seen a rule that other exhibitors and audience members would be asked to leave if they made too much noise during a round. I guess they had problems with people trying to throw results. But not being able to encourage your own dog? Never heard that one, and I don't know any serious competitors that would show up if they couldn't communicate with their dog. Plus the rules and level of finesse required for a pen are very different from the raw intensity of baying in the woods. Some dogs can do both, but IMO they require different skills.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:58 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I agree Julie it is very different than in the woods . When I practice I try to do every thing I can to distract my dogs .Thats why I keep talking to them banging the sides of the pen and just make noise . I do not say much to them when in competion . In the pen you have 20 to 50 people standing around talking moving bumping the pen not to mention a hundred dogs or so barking and moving as well. In the woods there are way less distractions and you are not having a guy with a count clicker taking points from your dog for every little mistake they make . LOL

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:45 am 

Julie, I agree! I know of maybe only one dog that has been successful in both the bay pen and the woods. I also saw the effects of a dog that had been strictly a woods dog...not pretty the result of what he did to the pig! Basically he thought that a pig in the bay pen was his to catch. Lots of cussing and hollering! :)) I admit I like it when I see the dog attempt to catch then everyone is scrambling to make the dog stop...kinda funny in a way.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 am 

Bay pen dogs and woods dogs can often be from different worlds. I don't think you can have a dog that is top notch in both the pen and in the woods. The two activities require distinctly different training methods and skills. However, I think it takes good breeding and instinct to come up with a dog that will work a pig well no matter what the surroundings.

I like when my dogs try to catch, too. Not because it's funny, but because that's what I would want them to do on a hunt. If there's a lazy, fat sow just sitting there and my dogs know they can hold her, I'd be mad at them if they didn't grab her! lol. I really just use bay pens as a way to practice and train for the woods, though.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Agreed Rachel. I think it's funny some people consider bay pens a good way to judge woods dog. 90% of what a woods dog does is look for and hunt down hogs. The bay is almost an after thought. Plus you're gonna a whole lot of runners if you have an intense "perfect 10" bay every time. Part of being a good woods dog is knowing when to back off and let the hog settle. It's also knowing when to add some teeth. That perfect competition bay is a bit unnatural, IMO, which is one of the reasons handler communication is important.

Not that I'm knocking bay pens. Obviously I love going, and a truly great dog is awe inspiring. But most of the woods dogs I've seen in the pen are thinking "I'm bored" or "I'm at a buffet" :))

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:34 pm 

Any breed can/will bark at a hog. That doesnt make it a hog dog. Like Julie said- the bay is an after thought. You still have to find it. And you have to bay it. A bay pen is good for bay pen dogs. I think it is going backwards for a woods dog. I will never put my grown dogs in a pen. There is nothing they will learn in there that will help them in the woods that they dont already know. I will let my pups bay in a pen a few times. When they know what a hog is then no more pen for them. They have to work for the hog after that.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:07 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hey Mike good to see you are around, drove out your way in Joanh and saw you had moved . Hope you are doing well ! I wish I had a place to hunt my dogs in the woods but no such luck . I started putting my pups in the pen to give them some thing to do that they would enjoy . They really like it so we have kept it up. I never really expect to much out of them but I did wanted them to be able to hold there own against other dogs in the pen . So I have invested lots of time into my dogs. The last thing I wanted to do was make the breed look bad . I found out quickly that folks at the bays were not big fans of lacys all ready and most felt they we useless in the pen . I can say I never expected it to be as much work and take as much time as it has , Not to mention the cost ! We have come a long way from where we were 6 monhts ago when we started . My dogs are to a point that we do not make the Lacy breed look bad any more at the competions. My dogs are now getting a some respect and people at the bays like to see them work . I am just good with the fact that my dogs like it and are getting better every time they get in. Oh Mike meet a guy in Hutto that is a big farmer around here wish I could remember his name . He said that he new you. He said he always calls you when he has hog problem . Its a small world !

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training