Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: Accidental Tie-Up
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 pm 

So, we had an accidental breeding a few days ago between Ox and Karma, one of the catchdogs. My dad says he let them both in the yard and went back to the kennels to get Diesel and found them tied up not two minutes later. I was gone, so I'm not really sure how it happened... I'm confused as to whether or not she actually got bred, though. She had been showing absolutely no signs of heat, but apparently was receptive. It's been about a week and now she's swollen-up and bleeding like she would on a normal cycle. I don't really think that she is pregnant because she is still in heat... Usually they come out pretty soon after being bred. She's full-on in heat now. Do yall think that she didn't conceive? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to be sure that she doesn't have the puppies? I'd like to have some more experienced input before I decide what to do with her. :( I'm not looking forward to her sitting out the whole summer with pups....

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post subject: Re: Accidental Tie-Up
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Rachael,

I cant tell you much about whether Karma is bred or not, but I can tell you that there are pills that you can give her to abort her. However, I dont think I would use them because there are side effects to them. I would, if she is pregnant, just let her have to pups. May not be what you want, but would be better than giving her a pill that has side effects.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The vet can give her a shot of lutalyse, but there are possible side effects. You can also get her spayed if you're not planning on breeding her in the future.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yeah, as Amber said you can do a spay-abort all at once. Just wait for her to be out of heat to bring her in. She may or may not have taken, but life will be a lot easier with a fixed catch dog any way.

Though I've heard lutalyse can cause a dog to abort, it is supposed to kick cattle and horses into estrus, so that is a pretty off-label use. Which means it may or may not work, and even if it does, there could be some serious side effects. Of course there are plenty of risks and expenses involved with pregnancy as well, which really aren't worth it for an unplanned litter. So I'd take her to get spayed.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:43 pm 

Thanks for the ideas, y'all. Yeah, we were planning on having her spayed so we may do that. We were looking at those shots and pills, too, but they had a relatively high risk of harming the dog. I think I'll see if my vet can just spay her for me.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11972487@N04/

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:41 pm 

You could also simply let her have the pups and sell them as catch dogs. I've run across half catch dogs that pretty much do the job good. It's ENTIRELY your decision! I admit I love puppies so if it was me, I'd have let her have 'em but I can understand the view point of getting her spayed asap. Good luck.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics