Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Need some Imput ?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:02 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I went to Bremond bay today with Patch and Sammy. I had hopes of doing really well they have been just really getting it done in the last couple of weeks training Sammy even better than Patch. As it always seems to happen Sammy gets in the pen and acts like she has never been in the bay pen or seen a hog she just plays around and shuts down. It is like she has no clue and then that shuts Patch down. Now I can put Patch in with a dog that is good and he will bay his but off there and holds his own . Here are some of the facts the pen I practice in is much smaller and of course only 1 or 2 people around & lots of dogs where I practice as well . At the bays way more people but can that and a bigger pen change her actions that much ? I have also Bayed her atleast every weekend in Practice or competion for the last 6 months straight. I do not think she is board because she just hammers in the practice pen . I mean she will turn in 2 or 3 minute perfect runs. Any imput would be great I know most of you are woods hunters but I am not sure what else to do with her .

Post subject: Re: Need some Imput ?
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I am going to say its the venue. I have never been to a bay so I do not know what they are like but, my dogs seem to get a little clingy around big crowds. If on a blood trail I will let the dogs run around a check things out before we hit the trail. It helps get the "new" out of them. When I showed pigs everyone was so impressed with my hogs because they acted more like dogs.....untill they got in the show ring, then they would run around like wild hogs. I found that if I could get them out of the small holding pens and work them a little just before we hit the show ring it would help. I have a feeling the same is happeing to your dogs. Its like taking a kid to disney world and execting them to stay focused.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

This reminds me of training and showing young horses. I could have them going perfect at home, nailing an entire 3'6" course in their sleep, and then we'd get to the 3' Pre-Green class and it was like half their brain fell out on the drive over. For the most part we'd keep putting the miles in at home and on the road and pray they grew up!

There are probably several factors here, but I agree that the number one issue is distractions. There are infinitely more people, a lot more dogs, even a lot more hogs at a competition versus practice. The smells and the noises and the attention can be overwhelming to a seasoned dog, so you really have to expect the pups to have issues. And everything little thing that is different, including the pen size, is going to make her hesitate. Dogs are notoriously bad at generalization, especially the young ones with lingering puppy ADD, so the key is practicing in as many different places as possible.

It's possible she's burnt out, but if that was the case she would be slacking off in practice. Giving her a break might not hurt, but I don't think drive is the issue here, so I'd look at ways to vary her routine regardless of time off. Ask Gilbert about practicing at his place, try to hit the bays in Pearsall and McCoy, anything to expose her to different environments. It would be good for Patch too.

Another thing to think about is even though Patch is older than Sammy, he doesn't have that much more experience than she does. He really can't be a rock for her because he's barely gotten the hang of it himself. Just like he does better with a jam up dog, I bet she would too. Try to run her with other experienced dogs, paying their entry fee if you have to, to help build her confidence.

Also, I wouldn't run her with more than one other dog during practice. I know you sometimes let Bella jump in for fun, but that adds extra energy she won't get in the pen. If anything you should try making her practice solo every so often. You'll know she can step up in the two dog if she can get the gumption to bay solid for two minutes on her own. She probably won't do very well at first, but the point of practice is to push her to the next level, not win points.

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:59 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hey thanks Julie . I do run her a lot by herself at practice and she is really better than Patch when you compare how they run by themselves . The dogs I do not think is it because there a lot of dogs where we practice. So I am down to pen size and people . I think the 2 maybe it so I am going to try and see if we can get in another pen . I have never really had her around a lot of people at all so iI am going to try and take her to the park a couple of times a week to see if that helps. Also it is true her and Patch are close in the amount of experince they have so that makes sence . Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:37 pm 

Maybe you could consider making her a woods dog? I have run across quite a few woods dogs that were formerly bay pen dogs that got bored with pen work. I mean, how hard is it to find a hog and keep focused on the hog in a pen? :)) she may be telling you in her own way that she wants more interesting work.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I know you would think it would not be hard for a dog to bay in a pen for 2 to 3 minutes with no mistakes . They deduct points for lots of things .There 2 to 3 judges just focuced on your dog and they are picky they. You would be suprised at just how many dogs can not do a perfect run over and over . The number of dogs that can not do it is far greater than the ones who can . Dogs that can turn in perfect runs are far and few . I guess thats why when you find one they are worth there weight in gold. I know she is not board because in practice she is all over it . I think it is more of just being young and the # of peolple around the pen as Julie said. I would woods hunt if I had the place to do it but is in Hard to find people in texas that will let you on there land to hunt. I would like to see if my dogs could do something in the woods .I know they have seen and bayed on a lot of really big and nasty hogs in the pen.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:29 am 

I've been to lots of bayings so I understand what you're talking about. I wasn't criticizing your dog though so no worries there. As you said, she's young and I also understand about how hard it is to get hunting permission. I recall someone commenting on another hog hunting websites is that she decided to cut back on hunting in corn due to the difficulties that her dogs had in locating hogs...something about lots of dust so she was giving up hog hunting in specific places. Thought that was interesting. She did say there were tons of hogs running around but that her dogs just couldn't always find them due to the dust. Wonder if that's is worth researching?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Camo,

I dont know a thing about hog hunting or bays, but I do know that different dogs mature at different rates. This has been discussed a lot. My idea is that it is her maturity level and the differences in the practice and the real thing. Abe just turned 2 and I can see him maturing in a lot of areas that I wondered if he would ever make it!!

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty I feel the same about how they mature . We saw it with Bella, at 2 yrs old she became a different dog. She is 3 now ! Can not wait for Patch to hit that age he is 16 months now ! He has been a hand full as a puppy ! Sammy will have her 1 yr. birthday on July 3, 2010 . They grow up so fast ! She still acts like a 4 month old pup .

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training