Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Worming your pups?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm 

Hello, I am currently training a 14 week old pup to blood trail. Everything is going according to plan as far as training goes. I wanted your input as to how often ya'll worm your pups. I know worming a dog too often is not good for it and can also lead to weight loss. But anytime I give my pup a treat, it is usually soaked in blood before hand. When I track with my pup, the little tidbits I leave for her are also soaked in blood. Do ya'll worry about your pups carrying anything or contracting anything from the blood? I only use deer and audad blood. I have her on heartguard plus which alos worms her on a monthly basis. Just making sure I am covering my bases and not overlooking anything. Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: Worming your pups?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I don't know much about Heartguard Plus, but if it claims to kill intestinal worms, you should be covered. I don't *think* it covers tapeworms, though. Those come from fleas, so if your dog doesn't have fleas you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:55 pm 

Thanks for the reply Amber, the heartguard plus does kill all intestinal parasites and I'm not sure about tapes so I have an additional wormer for that. I just wasn't sure how often everyone else wormed their dogs. Thanks again! :)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Paul,

I dont worm my dogs, ever. And, they dont have worms. If you are worried about worms because of putting the blood on the treats, forget that. My dogs eat raw meat straight from the dead deer, or jack rabbit, or whatever they get from the taxidermist during hunting season. If you worry about giving them fresh blood on treats, freeze it and then you have no problem.

You are completely right about worming a dog too much causing a dog problems. You are putting something in them that kills the worms. It is a poison, more commonly known as a chemical. So, worm the dog ONLY if you know that it is necessary by testing. Dont worm just because you think the dog might need it.

As far as heart worms go, heart worms can be a problem or not, depending on where you live. If you think you must treat for heart worms, do it, but understand that the chemical that you are putting in your dog could also be totally unnecessary. Heart worms are something that is really scary for dog owners and there are not many cheap and easy remedies for heart worm. I will not tell you not to use Heart Guard, but understand that putting chemicals on and in your dog is not something that should be done lightly.

Under the forum thread, alternative health and feeding, there is a post on Diatomaceous
Earth, DE. Check it out. It's a good, cheap alternative to poisons for your dogs. Its easy to use, it works and does LOTS of things. It kills internal bugs in the digestive tract, kills flies that come to the feces of dogs fed with DE, will kill most any bug that bugs you or your dogs. It will not kill the heart worm because it does not get into the blood.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to type that Betty. I've worked with dogs most of my life and usually dont put chemicals on or in my dogs and even though I have fed raw in the past I guess I just viewed this different considering it is a wild animal. You hear how dogs can contract things from pigs and I just wanted to careful since I have a young daughter that hangs out with my lacy all the time. Thanks again!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Paul,

I totally understand your concern. I have family that cannot even convince themselves that its ok to feed human grade raw food to their dogs. :)) It has been so ingrained in us to feed kibble, treat with chemicals, etc that we all take a while to understand that there is a different way. I have been on the alternative path for many, many years and I have many reasons to think the way that I do. I may come across to some as a nut case or as a hard core fanatic, but many people have made the decision to not vaccinate, or to use alternative care because of something that I may have said on this forum. I know that not everyone will go totally alternative, I am not totally alternative, but if something that I have posted makes someone think twice about what they are doing, then my time has been well spent.

I hear that you train police dogs? Have you looked into the LSWDA?

Good luck with training your pup!

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 pm 

Sorry it has been a day or two, was at the ranch hunting. More like sitting and sweating but still beats work :D

I have checked out the LSWDA and I plan on joining. Yes ma'am I work with quite a few departments. Bitework and man work has been a passion of mine for a while. It has carried over and everytime I work my Lacy I enjoy her more and more. I like that I can take her to the ranch with me.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:49 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You will truly enjoy watching her grow and learn to work at what she is bred to do! We take our dogs walking nearly everyday here on the ranch and we never tire of watching them run, hunt and just be lacy dogs!!

Welcome to our forum and we look forward to getting to know you and your pup. Guess the pup has a name??

Betty

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:15 pm 

Her name is Rein. She's about 15-16 weeks old. Still have a ways to go but she loves to track :D

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training