Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training

Post subject: Hunting range???
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 am 

Do any of you hog hunters have problems with your dogs not ranging out and looking for game? Remi checks trees with in 15 or 20 feet of me an won't go out any further. The only time she gets out of site is if she is really familiar with the woods... HELP APPRECIATED :D

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36539866@N07/

Post subject: Re: Hunting range???
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

This is a great topic and I hope some experienced doggers chime in.

Run her with experienced dogs and as she gets older and develops more confidence, her range may increase. If she will get out 100-150 yards, find a track, locate and bay a hog, she is doing pretty good.

Some dogs will always be short range. Hounds tend to have a colder nose and range further, miles even, to find a hog. A long range dog might find more hogs but they can also be a pain. On the other hand, a short range dog is great for hunting small tracts.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 am 

:-BD Courtney said it all. I agree 100%.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

There will always be variations in a hunting dog's range, nose, scan pattern, baying, etc...due to genetics, experience and training, however you can count on a dog to improve with hunting experience when optimum conditions have been provided to your huniting dog no matter the breed or quarry. Most dogs hunt extrememly "close in" due to a lack of experience and confidence in themselves, but do not fret, you can change their behavior to a more accesptible level through experience and training.
There are many techniques used to change a dog's range, nose, scan pattern, bay (over all hunting style), and careful consideration should be taken to make sure that the result is one you truly desire. A question you should ask yourself is how large are the properties that you intend on hunting (do you really want your hunting dog to range out 2 miles?). Once you decide how far out you want your hunting dog to range then the training to that distance is fairly easy (pending your dogs drive) with a few helpful tips. One; set your dog up for success repeatedly at a distance he or she will go out to and gradually increase the distance by placing artificial finds for your dog, Two; take your dog out hunting with dogs that hunt at a range that you desire and in time your dog will become more confident with the other dogs and run with them rather than "under your feet", Three; repeat, repeat, repeat, all animals (even dogs) learn by consistant repitition, and if you provide your dog with a positive reward you will be pleased with the result.
A few don'ts, One; do not pet your dog while hunting, if you do, you are rewarding your dog for staying in close "under your feet", Two; don't travel too fast or too slow, your dog can only work an area at a speed that it can "check back in", so if you travel too fast or too slow your dog most likely won't venture out very far. Three; Do not drop you hunting dog right on top of the quarry unless you are truely training pups to get started while they are young.
I hope this helps.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The only thing I would add is that some dogs may think part of their job is watching out for you, rather than just hunting their face off. Sadie always hunted out further with Steve and Mike than she did when I was around. She actually left a bay once when I got lost, found me, led me back to the road, then went back to the bay. Which was fine by me but probably would have ticked off a real hog hunter :)

So I did my best to ignore her on hunts. As Bobby pointed out, petting them or even paying attention to them when they are under foot is going to reinforce that behavior. But even if I was there, she definitely hunted further out when she was running with long range dogs. She was never gonna be a hither-yonder hound, but she did roll out a few times for Steve. I never could decide if that was because she didn't feel the need to protect him or because she knew the only thing he cared about was the pork!

True Blue Lacys: http://www.truebluelacys.com
More Lacy Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/sets/72157605027566732/

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

She was probably afraid Steve would put a boot in her butt if she hung around too long! :))

Board index » Lacys In Action » Training