Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: Re: Stud dog management
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 am 

I am new here, but I have been reflecting on this discussion since yesterday. I see the discussion talking about linebreeding but the dogs that were actually bred were inbred correct? If I am missing something please point it out. Is anyone here familiar with inbreeding depression? Betty you are certainly warranted by your concerns. IMHO if you inbreed you need to keep everyone of those dog at your kennel for observation because at least a third will develop health issue after adolesence. That is when they must be culled. If someone else owns them it complicates them being culled because there owners are emotionally attached. I also agree with what Betty said about over breeding a stud dog. No one dog can carry the breed.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 am 

If you will go back and read my post on how maney puppys Patch has sired you will see he is NOT over bred. :D

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 pm 

Jim B.
You misunderstood my post if you think I was pointing at your dog. I said,"No one dog can carry the breed." I am not here on an open discussion to criticize anyone's personal stock or kennel. But by this associations own admission they want to openly discuss options to improve and diversify stock. Or at least that was the message I got overall from the posts above and after reflecting on this thread for sometime. Foundation breeding stock should be both diverse and as free of genetic disease as it can possibly be through a planned breeding program. I thought this is what the members were saying. Again am I miss reading the message? I have been researching this breed for more than a year because of their diverse background. I don't want a dog that has a genetic bottleneck like so many of the other hunting breeds out there. I saw one of these dogs in action at a Ranch in So Texas on a cull hunt that knocked my socks off on a very dry, aged recovery and I have the ability and the environment to train a dog that has the smarts of a lacy. As a prospective buyer I am researching every line and their abilities that I have the time to research. Jim if you take things too personally you loose site of the end goal your organization says they are working towards. No disrespect intented, I was trying to add my opinions to the mix like everyone else here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:15 pm 

Sorry if i seemed a little thin skined. I have fought a uphile battle for years to keep the Lacy breed as pure as possable. As most people that know me will tell you i am VERY passionate about this breed. I have raised and breed Lacys for over 54 yrs. so i know a little about the breed. As for line breeding and inbreeding i will not get in to that as i have listen to EXPERTS and they cannot agree on what is what. I have also listened to a lot of people that THINK they know it all. So no matter how it sounds we (N.L.D.A.) ARE HERE FOR THE GOOD OF THE BREED. I am going to continue to breed to the standerds that i grew up with,

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:18 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

First, let me say, welcome to the forum, dcaudell. You are most welcome to give your thoughts on whatever meets the guidelines of our forum! You chose to jump into the middle, so guess that you are are pretty brave! You may just well be someone who could handle a lacy dog!! :)) :))

Yes, the NLDA is about preserving the lacy breed as a working dog. That's what brought us all together in the first place. Jimmy has been taking some hits, so he has reason to be a bit 'thin skinned'. The thing is tho- we all have our opinions of what is right and what is wrong in the breeding world. Like Jimmy said, there is more than one opinion out there. The NLDA is open to discussion about breeding and all opinions are welcome. No one has to agree and that is also what the NLDA is all about!! To openly discuss things is to learn and to give reason for one to change their mind about something that perhaps they would not have, had it not been for open discussion.

Whether one wants to line breed or inbreed, their reason for that and what they are trying to achieve is their right. No one here will tell another that they can or cannot do what they want with their dogs. We came to this point because of the strict regulation of the breed by other groups. It is not up to any of us to tell others what they can do when it comes to breeding of their dogs. A breeder in the NLDA is the sole responsible person for breeding and placing their pups. They are the ones who must live up to their reputations and they are the ones who will be held responsible when the pups come along and are judged as working lacy dogs.

There are some great tracking lacy's out there. And, I believe that there are going to be some even better tracking lacys down the line. I dont know which one you saw in south Texas, but I assure you that since you are doing your home work, if and when you get one, you wont be disappointed. This is a great breed.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Stud dog management
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Dcaudell,

Where did you see this lacy work at in South Tx?

Jerryg

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:52 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Dcaudell,

Welcome to the forum, Your opinion and thoughts are encouraged.

"Every person that I meet is in some way my superior, and if I will listen to him I can learn from him"--Benjamin Franklin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 pm 

Shaun Kulcak owns the ranch in Freer, Texas. The man that brought the dog in was Richard Roberts. He isn't breeding the dog, but put me in touch with the folks he bought the dog from and they aren't breeding her Mama anymore either. I found a full sister but those folks aren't interested in breeding either. So a year later I am still researching and looking at dogs.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Well said Ms Betty.........

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Welcome and happy to see you are taking your time and doing your home work before buying a pup .

Post subject: Stud dog management
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:11 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Dcaudell,

Kinda sucks when folks with great lines are not interested in breeding their great dogs and possibly improving the lacy dog, but you see this often due to many issues in the past.

On another note, I don't think anyone here was trying to have "one dog carry the breed", the conversation was about one particular breeder working his particular line and teaming up with Jimmy to utilize his best dog to get to their overall goal.....other breeders out there. I know Freds goals are to produce great tracking dogs because that's what he enjoys working his dogs on...may want to give him a call.

Last edited by jerryg on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I agree with you Jerry, no one dog can carry any breed and I dont think that was ever the intention here.
We have to keep talkin in an open manner in order to help the breed.

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics