Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: Hip Dysplasia
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I statred this here in regards to Shannon and Alex's confimed case in Addy.

Obvioulsy Hip Dysplasia is in the breed...so what do we do????

We know that 2 OFA certified dogs can produce dysplastic offspring, but at least if the sire and dam are OFA certified we know we are NOT breeding dysplastic dogs. I certainly don't want to get into requiring breeding dogs to be certified, but as an NLDA approved Breeder from now on all my breeding stock will be certified.
As a puppy buyer...what do you do (since we've already said 2 certified dogs can still produce a dysplastic puppy)...my opinion is to only buy puppies from breeders that have ofa certified parents...this is what i do with my Brittanys...all parents MUST be OFA certified...and a reputable breeder will usually guarantee hips and health to at least 24 months of age...the last puppy I bought is gurananteed hips and health to 30 months of age.
I realize cost is a concern...just got off the phone with my vet and ball park figure is $150.00 (for OFA). There is another certification called PennHip (not sure the price but i do know the vet has to be certified with PennHip) It's a small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion.

"Every person that I meet is in some way my superior, and if I will listen to him I can learn from him"--Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Hip Dysplasia
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

I am in favor of breeders having their dogs testing, and I think it will catch on. Right now there isn't a large demand (from the buyers) for pups to be guaranteed but if there was, I know more breeders would make it a priority.

Post subject: Re: Hip Dysplasia
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:20 pm 

I think it is a great idea, I know people have always stayed away from it because of the cost. Even if you did not do the test and the dog comes with a guarantee until 2 years of age to not have this health problem, I would feel secure buying from a breeder. Another good reason we recommend you wait to breed your dogs.
The problem I run into is Addy is 7 and didn't start showing signs until earlier this year, and we really thought she had gotten hurt hunting.

I can say if someone called me today and said they bought a dog from me and there was a health problem, no matter what age I would do what I could to make it right.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

She was probably in such good shape that it has never bothered her...she's a little older now and it is obviously starting to...

I bet if you were to have had her x-rayed at 2 yrs old it would have been noticed (probably slight...but its like being pregnant...you either are or you're not)...but since she never limped...there was no reason to...

"Every person that I meet is in some way my superior, and if I will listen to him I can learn from him"--Benjamin Franklin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:46 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I also wonder if all of the steroids affected her some? She has taken a ton of steroids and they are not good for anyone, even tho they saved her life. It might have been that she had the tendency for it, then the steroids after a period of time caused it to go full blown. I'm not down playing the fact that she has HP, just wondering.

I will say, again, that the NLDR will not require a breeder to do the testing. What stance the NLDA wants to take is fine with me and I will not stand in the way. I just wont require it to be done. I understand all the stuff behind the testing, but I also understand that it is not my place to make some one do the xrays on their dogs. That is just another thing that will come into place when people are looking for a good dog.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics