Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: color genetics
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I have been looking into color genetics for a while now. I needed to find some place or someone who could explain the color genes to me in a way that I could understand it. I have found such a person and am very excited about it!! I had contacted a Ph. D in Canada from a website that I had found and she sent me info about JP Yousha who lives in Midland, TX!!! I have been talking and emailing her for the past couple of days and am learning a lot!!

JP has the most wonderful Great Danes and helped map out the harlequin color in Great Danes and also helped Dr. Schmutz (Ph.D in Canada) with the K gene and mask. Don't understand that, but it sounds impressive!! JP is very knowledgeable and willing to work with us on determining where the colors in our dogs come from. She is also going to rework the info that we have about the Lacy color genes, which 2 people have told us is very outdated.

Anyone who wants to have their dogs colors checked can contact me and I will get swabs to you. This is different from DNA for identifying a breed, but only for color. It should cost around $60 to $100 per dog. JP says that the lacy breed color genetics is fairly simple and has been able to tell me a lot about the lacy just by looking at pics of our dogs. It is fascinating!!

Also, anyone who wants to, I would like to have pics of your dogs and pics of any litters that you might have had.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, any way.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: color genetics
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:18 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

That is great. All I know, is that Jones was bred to another red and got all reds and he was bred to a blue and got all blues. I am interested in understanding as well.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Here is the pics in case he wants to look at them.

Attachments:
DSC_2215.jpg
DSC_2215.jpg [ 127.57 KiB | Viewed 3942 times ]
DSC_2205.jpg
DSC_2205.jpg [ 114.27 KiB | Viewed 3943 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 am 
Site Admin

We can have Luna tested. I have seen a lot of red lacys with blue shading on the face but she has the darkest shading I've seen. She seems to have a mix of light red and blue hair all over, giving her a buckskin color. All of the puppies in this litter were like that. The blue pups had red shading and the red pups had blue shading.

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320932484.143333.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320932484.143333.jpg [ 41.41 KiB | Viewed 3946 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Star and Monster (in the vest)... I'd like to know why some lacys like monster have more of a brown color to there "blue" color, and what causes it?

Attachments:
319113_645950742926_55503827_33275972_857211596_n.jpg
319113_645950742926_55503827_33275972_857211596_n.jpg [ 140.71 KiB | Viewed 3924 times ]
ministar.jpg
ministar.jpg [ 10.23 KiB | Viewed 3923 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The 'brown' lacys that are supposed to be blue and the red lacys with the blue shading are one of the main things that I have always wondered about. From what little I understand right now, it is the combination of the red and blue parents and those genes expressing themselves from that combination. But, after the testing is done, we wont have to wonder anymore and I just love that!!

I also can use pics of the parents if you have them. This is just stuff that JP and I want to be working on while we are getting this all together and waiting on the testing. If you dont have pics of the parents, then colors will be fine. I am really, really going to have to make my unorganized brain get that way!

If ANYONE knows of a black lacy, please let me know. I know that there has been rumors of black lacys in the past, but would like to find one, if I can. JP doesn't understand why, with the colors that we have, we dont have black lacys.
Anyone who wants the swabs, be sure that I have your current address so that I can get them to you.

Betty

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Betty, I think this is a good thing. We probably can't afford to do it for our dogs right now, but I'm very interested. I'm glad you're planning to have "typically colored" Lacys tested in addition to the "atypical" ones like Luna.

I know I've shared that I grew up with a black Lacy named Rocket. He was supposedly a full Lacy, but when I look back at pictures, I think that is questionable. His body type just seemed more like a catahoula than a Lacy, but that may have been because he was older by the time I came around. He lived to be 14, I think, and he was an awesome dog.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:00 pm 

Roush is about 6 months old now and both of his parents were solid blue dogs. He came out cream/red with blue shading all throughout his entire body..... I've always wondered about this. The parts of his body where you can really see the "blue" skin are down his back and all thru his tail and ears.

Couple of examples you can see the blue shading on his coat.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:12 am 

Great Job, Betty

Courtney, I have a female that looks alot like your dog, let me know how the test goes.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ms Betty I think you just might be on to something here. I hope the good Dr can get it into terms we all can understand and relay to folks that we speak with. I wonder if she thinks at some point there could be a red tri? Wouldnt hurt to ask.

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:09 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Fred already produced one Kevin

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.709548,-96.180771

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm 

Fred do u have any photo's of the red tri... i'd love to see them if you have some?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I too would love to see the pics Fred, I figured a red tri wasnt to far off, just got here abit quicker than I thought....
Thanks for the info John...

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:28 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think that's what we called it or decided! It was red cream and white . He was a pup it should be 5 or 6 months old now . I saw him at the blood tracking event we had. It was a beautiful pup I would like to see if he has changed at all . It is easy to see these dogs are still evolving for what ever reason I see more and more what I call saddle back in the Reds and Blues, then more of blues with tints making them look red in certain lights reds with blue mixed in the red like Courtney said . Hopefully this can provide some good info and help I would like to get Tiny tested she is blue or red depends on the light

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.638643,-96.364051

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I will try and get some of his puppy pics posted...he is now a member of the Rackley family...

This is very exciting news...way to go Betty...we will now be able to get to the "bottom" of the color(s) of the breed...I would like to get both of mine "tested"...

"Every person that I meet is in some way my superior, and if I will listen to him I can learn from him"--Benjamin Franklin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics