Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics

Post subject: Nerves
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I am starting a new topic because of what I stated in my post in Color Genetics. So Alex will understand why I stated I would not have breed "Star". a dog can be a jam up dog at home in its comfortable surroundings, but take it out side of its comfortable surroundings and it tucks it tail, drops a little lower tp the ground , sticks to its owner like glue, that is refered to in "working dog circles" as weak in Nerves. There is not a good breeding dog. As a working dog Trainer, the golden rule is when you go to someones kennel to buy a dog, you let the kennel Owner show you the working ability of said dog in its comfortable surroundings. chances are that dog will kick ass. BUT now the true test comes when you take the same dog away from it comfortable surroundings. Does it perform the same as it did at home,or does the dog drop a little lower to the ground, head down, tail tucked, looking around not at all interested in performing at the same level as it had just done at home.It has weak nerves no amount of training will change that. if it has its tail up , head up, body up, paying attention to doing its job in a strange surrounding , then that would be considered stable to stronge nerves. And yes that is passed to its offsprings.I cannot tell you how many dogs I have seen in the past that in their yards act like demons from hell, then they are takeing outside and a stranger walks toward them in a threating matter and same at home Demon dog, will tuck tail and hid behind their owners back. like I said, its all in the Drives that a dog is born with, and that was what I saw in Star at the Blood trailing event we had this year. SHE MAY BE THE BEST DOG you have, but because of the way I saw her react to strange surroundings, That is weak nerves and I personally would not breed such a dog. So we can't blame it on her siblings beating her up all the time, if she had strong nerves no matter if the whole pack was whipping her behind , she would have went down fighting.
Grandmadawg

Post subject: Re: Nerves
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Do you think theres a chance a dog would come around if after an outing like you described the dog was taken out more often inorder to become more comfortable with the newer surroundings???

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:40 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think it would depend on how said dog can handle stress. Said dog could be taking outside of its comfortable surroundings a hundred times , each time it gets a little better but if something scared it [in working dog terms and miltary, and police it is called a shit storm) I don't believe it would all of a sudden have strong/stable nerves. But What I just said, very well could be proven wrong. But I personally would not want to put my life on the line, hopeing that the dog would protect me or in the Lacy world be able to go into a crowd of strange people and strange dogs and preform there as good as it does at home where there is no outside strange stuff going on.
Grandmadawg

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

"nerves".....now that, is old school!! :))

I would call a dog like that timid.

but i see your point......

that was one of the top three excuses used for poor performances in utility tests, too!
favorite response, "Oh, you hunt a lot of ducks at your house??" B-)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:58 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I am so "oooold School " it ant funny any more. When I see a 30 year old person and refer to them as kids, you know I getting old :)) :))
Grandmadawg

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:36 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I do the same thing........Im old...

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 pm 

Rod fishes for perch. Has not mastered the language of the ancients. :D

Board index » Dr. Dog » Breeding & Genetics