Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:32 pm 

Hey all! Has any of you who feed Purina Products suddenly had your dog stop eating his food? Rudy is eating alittle and then walking away! Then he will go back much later or if we encourage him. He usually eats like a horse! So please let me know. Some "soft" stool but no diarrhea yet. Just refusing to eat it. He has never had a problem with eating until now. He seems fine in regards to energy level now. He was alittle out of it last week but we had a heat wave! Thanks for any input anyone can give me. I will be checking back later as soon as I can. I have marked all the articles about dog food to also read later. I have a barking lacy out back who wants to know why his human keeps going inside so much! More later! Laura PS The food in question is Purina Puppy Chow and it's a new bag.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Well, for starters, Dog Chow is just garbage. The first ingredient in this dog food is corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain with little nutritional value to a dog. Dogs are carnivores. Grain is just a cheap filler linked to food allergies.

The second ingredient is corn gluten meal.

The third ingredient is chicken by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a chicken after all the prime cuts have been removed...the leftovers usually considered "unfit for human consumption," including feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs — anything except quality muscle (real meat).

The fourth ingredient is brewers rice. Brewers rice is a cereal grain by-product consisting of the small fragments left over after milling whole rice.

The fifth ingredient is animal fat. Whenever there is no mention of a specific animal (chicken, beef, fish, ect,) this item could come from almost anywhere: restaurant grease, slaughterhouse waste, diseased cattle — even euthanized pets.

The ninth ingredient includes animal digest. Animal digest is a chemically hydrolyzed mixture of animal by-products that is usually sprayed onto the surface of a dry kibble to improve its taste.

Finally, puppy chow contains menadione, a controversial form of vitamin K linked to liver toxicity and the abnormal break down of red blood cells.

That's some scary stuff! Rudy is trying to tell you something.

While a raw meat diet is most ideal, the benefits of grain-free kibble can be seen it in their behavior, muscle tone, weight, coat, digestion (small, firm stools) and overall health.

There is a ton if information on this site about raw feeding. While highly beneficial for dogs, it can be an inconvenience. We feed raw deer meat and deer bones throughout the year in addition to kibble.

If raw is out of the question and you can't go for a completely grainless kibble, at least seek out a brand that contains only high quality ingredients (no corn, wheat, by-products or carcinogenic preservatives such as BHT.) BHT is a known carcinogen common in many cheap dog foods. It is banned for use in human food.

For kibble, I use and recommend Taste of the Wild, Hi-Tek Naturals, and Wellness Core but there are many others.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm 

Try victor! Camo put me on it and love it! Gluten free and grain free!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm 

Thanks! I will be talking to Bill about changing Rudy's diet! Laura

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I agree totally with Courtney- she has it down!!

Raw is the best way to go. If you cant or dont want to do that, then find a 'quality' food. I wont go into a lot of stuff about kibble, but Rudy is telling you something. It may be that he just doesnt like the food, but it can also be because the food is not good for him and he needs something else, or it could be because the food is just bad. I havent heard of any recalls on Purina, but Purina is pretty sorry food, and recalls dont come about until the food has been on the market for a good while. Sometimes the recalls come too late for peoples pets.

Listen to Rudy and chuck the Purina!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Courtney is right on with the food, but it could be something else entirely.

Combined with any other symptoms, don't automatically assume that it's the food.

Dogs get into lots of things, he could have eaten something and have a blockage, could be sick, could be losing his appetite due to the heat....I could go on and on....

Is he drinking, peeing and pooping normally?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

By the way, we found this in Utah...lol

Let me know if I can get anyone a bag or two.

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342150784.217956.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342150784.217956.jpg [ 43.26 KiB | Viewed 3419 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Both of my dogs haven't been eating like they should. With the heat, and the stress in moving, ect. I'm not totally surprised. Try a different food and keep your eye on her.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Robby, your hounds are probably on strike because youve had them painting the new place....just sayin

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:30 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Rod is right in that it could be something besides food. Me- I just always expect the food- sorry about that. A young dog could have eaten anything! One thing to do would be to see if he is excited about something else, like a treat that he likes, etc.

By the same token, Rob is also right- the heat will stop some dogs from eating. I have one who eats most anything, most any time. Heat, nor rain, nor sleet and snow will not keep him from eating!! :)) Lucy almost always eats, but sometimes not so eagerly. Abe will not eat if it is too hot. I feed them all around 6:00 and if Abe doesnt appear to be hungry and just ignores his food, I pick it up and try to give it to him later. Sometimes I remember to do that and sometimes I dont. If I forget to give him his food, then I have no problem with him eating the next evening.

Here is a fairly good website that deals with commercial food and what you want to look for in it and what you dont want in it. I cannot tell you nearly as much as Courtney did as I havent fed commercial food for over 4 years now. I feed my dogs totally raw and I like it and so do the dogs!! There is a ton of info on this thread about raw feeding and if you ever decide to go with it, I am always happy to help.

Keep us posted as to how Rudy is doing.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:50 pm 

We have been watching Rudy. He seems to not be acting any out of the ordinary. But he is very slow to eat the Purina now. Seems to eat it after it is left in dish for awhile. Rudy does get into stuff outside being a puppy and all. I have rescued several toads from a nasty feat as my dog tries to jump on them and catch them! :)) We were gone for three and half hours today. Rudy had a few treats this morning before we left and some meat. But he had not really ate since 6 am. (I gave him his Purina then.) Then I went to feed my puppy at 4:30 in the afternoon and he seemed excited about eating and then he tried to eat the Purina and then walked away! That told me it was the food for sure!!! We will be getting something else now for sure. Thanks for all your input. I heard that Taste of the Wild is being recalled too. Laura

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

cook him a steak and see if that helps......if after he does his usual business you can probably rule out blockage.......medium rare on the steak

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:29 am 

Well, we are back in business with him eating! We tried one other food and he didn't like it but he ate more of it than the Purina. (By the way, there is a recall on some Purina stuff.) But then he wasn't eating again. I found a real good website called dogfoodadvisor.com. I researched dog foods. (esp.some of the ones suggested here by others.) Our local feed store had some. We got Blue Buffalo Puppy formula in the blue bag. He went ape over it! He gobbled it down and was begging for more! Since Sunday night when we started him on this, he has been eating without a problem! Thanks for all of the input here! Laura

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good deal!! Glad to hear it!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:58 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

glad all is well......now you just cook the steak for yourself....

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding