Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: Lacy Ear Care
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:21 pm 

Hey all! I haven't been here in awhile! What do you all do to clean your dog's ears? I never did it with our other dog but Rudy's ears seems "dirty". Percy's ears were always clear and pink inside. I have noticed that Rudy's ears have little "black" stains in the mid of his ear canal. Percy had something similar when he got ear mites. He had some hearing problems before we noticed it and we just thought that he was getting old. Then he was messing with his ears one Friday night and Bill and I noticed the "black' stains in Percy's ears. He got ear drops from the vet and it was cleared up in 2 weeks. Then his hearing was normal again. Rudy seems to be hearing okay and the "black" stains haven't increased like they did in Percy's case. I am closely watching this. But what do you all do to clean your Lacy's ears or don't you? Thanks! Laura

Post subject: Lacy Ear Care
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:42 pm 

I clean their ears with rags

Post subject: Re: Lacy Ear Care
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:41 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Abe got a terrible mess in his ear at one time. Altho dogs dont get ear mites like dogs do, they do get them. Usually if an animal has ear mites, they will shake their heads and ears, trying to get rid of the mites that are moving around. In Abe's case, we never noticed anything like that. One night Roy was scratching the back of Abe's ear and he yelped in pain. We looked in his ear and it was completely closed with a brown, waxy gunk. Roy took him to the vet the next day and she thought that maybe there was a tick way down in the ear canal. Dont know why she thought that, but thats what she looked for. She had to knock him out a little bit to look down canal, but she got it cleaned out and gave an anti-biotic. He has never had another issue like that.

I dont clean my dogs ears as other than that one circumstance, their ears are not ever dirty. You may find if you change to a better dog food that the ears will clear up. Larrys ears always have a little bit of wax in them, but not a lot- not anything to worry about cleaning. Lucy's ears are always pretty and pink and clean, as are Abe's other than the one time.

Ears, as well as eyes, skin, etc all re-act to the diet. If the diet is good and agrees with the dog, most all is well. The body is not having to get rid of stuff like undigested corn, etc thru the skin, etc. If the body is dealing with stuff in it's diet that is not good for it, is not digestible, then the body has to get rid of it somehow and wax in the ears is one way to do that.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

best way to tell is to smell them.

you will know instantly if something is off. B-)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Dogs get allergies just like people, usually from pollen or food, and allergy symptoms can include ear odor, redness, itching, or gunk. These problems don't usually lead to a full blown infection in short eared dogs but it can happen.

If your dog seems to be scratching his ears on a regular basis, it’s time to find the underlying cause. A change in diet could be what he needs. Betty is right...dogs on a healthy diet seem to have fewer health problems overall...especially relating to skin, ears, eyes, and gums.

Our dogs' ears stay clean and odor free most of the year. Sometimes in the late summer, Ace is bothered by seasonal allergies and he gets smelly ears and watery eyes. The odor is a little bit like sour milk. He is probably allergic to ragweed or some other kind of grass or weed pollen. I got some ear flush from the vet and that clears it up right away. Liquid solutions allows for deep cleaning of the ear canal.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:24 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

best way to tell is to smell them.

you will know instantly if something is off. B-)

says the man that can smell snakes and dead deer in the water long before he gets to them!!!

My father could smell dogs ears when they werent even in the same yard with him!! Amazed me.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

:D

you know how they say one of your senses gets sharper when you lose another one?
like blind people have really enhanced hearing, or can use sonar location?

I think years of not listening has sharpened my sense of smell..... B-) B-)

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding