Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: Cut vest
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 pm 

Anyone run a cut vest on their tracking dog? I know a guy that has a BMC that was on her 100+ track when she had a buck she had bayed pin her to a tree with his rack and almost killed her. She had multiple punctures to her gut including her female parts. She almost didn't make it. This was last year. Last I heard this year she's on her 18th find but now wears a vest. I've looked a ton of vest but can't make up my mind.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm 

I would really think it depends on the dog and how gritty it is. I would go with a light weight bay vest on the average tracking or baying hound. I have some catch vests that are thick wet felt. Those are for the all muscle no brain catch dogs, LOL. They are too heavy for the average dog to work in.

Post subject: Re: Cut vest
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm 

Thanks Flash. I was looking at a bay best. Razorback, hardcorehogdog etc. Been hog hunting with dogs just not my dog so as far as vest are concerned about all I know is the difference in a bay vest and a catch vest

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

The difference is in weight an what material is used..uglydog outfitters does a real good job of explaining what there vests are made of. Basically the difference is a bay vest is lighter weight,flexible ,an durable but not cut proff. Catch vests are much heavier but more cut reaistant. I'm not goin to say you can't puncture them but your less likely to compared to a bay vest.hope that helps

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Most of my calls happen four or more hours after the shot was taken. If that deer still has enough fight in him after that long chances are we will not find it. I also run my dogs on lead for the most part. So with that in mind I do not see much need in a vest. The only live one we have caught was at our ranch when I got the dogs on it right away. Talk about a rodeo! Make a long story short, by the time I got to the dogs I had a dead flash light and only a pocket knife! :))

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:48 pm 

Thanks for the info. No light and a pocket knife sounds like loads of fun! I've been running Rowdy off lead and depending on a Garmin 320 to keep up with him. So far this year he's 4 for 6. The first that we didn't find was a good buck I shot with my bow. I gave that deer two hours even though I thought I made a good shot. When we went to recover him the dog jumped him and ended up 700 yards out from us and bayed. By the time I could get there the deer had broke bay and vanished. I'm not sure why he didn't pursue perhaps it was his first live one and maybe was intimidated. Who knows. We found blood where we caught up to them but that was it no more blood. The other week I shot another deer and knew it was a low shot and had guts with little blood. It was a good buck. Instead of running Rowdy I called a friend that between his two labs are 300+ finds in the last 3 years. Long story short I had let that deer sit 4hrs before attempting to look. His lab jumped him 150yrds from the shot (300RUM) and took the buck 1200 yards before baying. Before we could get up on him he broke bay 3 more times for 100yrds or so each time. Greg finally found and opening and launched a round from a .444 straight up his poop chute and he took off again. Two more rounds from a .45 and another 200 yards later he finally gave up.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Jerry G would be able to provide some insight into this topic as he runs deer dogs and hog dogs. His deer dogs are pretty gritty...able to bay and catch a wounded buck.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I think flash is on target with this. If I was going to to run a vest it would be a lighter bay vest. I am always paranoid that my dogs will overheat in the climate in south Texas. Another issue is that if they get to a tank, a vest will weigh them down and now I have to worry about a dog drowning. I would much rather take my chances without a vest. I recently bayed a buck close to a pack of javies. They attacked one dog and I assume the bay broke and the buck gored my other dog. Two dogs out of commission at once! Glad they will be ok but I feel I would rather take my chances without a vest.

Jerryg

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 pm 

Thanks everyone for the advice

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing