Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post subject: Headed to the vet!
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am 

Blue Jean Baby has a habit of chewing anything she can get into her mouth. This time she got into the wife's purse, and chewed open a bottle of some high strength meds similar to Ibuprofen. She must have also eaten the pills, about fifteen of them...
We didn't notice it at first, but over the past two days, she started vomiting up her food, and her stools turned very dark, which probably means she has torn up the liming on her insides, similar to ulcers.
She seems fine otherwise, but we are going to see what they say in a few minutes. I'm hoping it's going to be goats milk or something simple till she gets better...

Post subject: Re: Headed to the vet!
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Hoping everything turns out okay. :YMPRAY: Colt ate one of my sharpies I use at work when he was a pup and it made him very sick for a few days.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:33 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I sure hope that she will be ok! Scary when dogs get into things!

Here is some info for people who are going thru things like this.

Cats Claw is good for distress such as this.-
Cats Claw
The Effects of Cat's Claw on Intestinal Permeability (Leaky Gut Syndrome)
After using cat's claw in working with approximately 150 patients between 1988 and 1992, Dr. Brent Davis reports that "Uncaria tomentosa has the ability to break through severe intestinal derangements that no other available products can touch." He refers to the herb as "the opener of the way" because of its remarkable ability to cleanse the entire intestinal tract and help patients suffering from many different stomach and bowel disorders including leaky bowel syndrome. irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids. fistulas. gastritis, ulcers, parasites and intestinal flora imbalance. (References 1,2,3)
By cleansing the intestinal walls, cat's claw enables the body to better absorb nutrients, thus helping to correct nutritional imbalances created by digestive blockages. (Reference 2) Many doctors today believe that cat's claw may have a "profound ability to get rid of deep-seated infection lodged in the bowel and perhaps even the mesentery, which can derange the uterus and associated anatomic parts: the prostate, liver, spleen, kidneys, thymus and thyroid, for starters."(5) Davis calls cat's claw "a world class herb which has the power to arrest and reverse deep-seated pathology allowing a more rapid return to health...'' (References l, 2)
The Ashanika Indians of Peru have long regarded una de gato tea as a sacred beverage. It is used as a cleansing and tonic herb for the immune, intestinal and structural systems.
In traditional medicine of Peru, una de gato is categorized as a "warm plant" or, more accurately, for warm conditions (inflammations) including arthritis, gastritis, asthma and dermal and genito-urinary tract inflammations. It is also used to treat diabetes, cancer, tumors, viral infections, menstrual disorders convalescence and debility. A few tribes also use cat's claw as a remedy for dysentery, (Reference 6) and at least one tribe uses the herb to treat gonorrhea. (Reference 7)

Also, L-Glutamine is very good. I havent found a reference to post yet, but I know that it is always recommended when there is digestive distress from things such as this, or for older dogs who dont digest well. Cats Claw and L-Glutamine are easy to find at health food stores and some of the grocery stores that carry such things as supplements. L-G is usually in the body building section- dont know why, but I take it for my digestive problems.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:38 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

L-Glutamine
L-Glutamine can be purchased at any health food store or on line at places like vitacost.com The suggested dose for a dog is one 500mg daily per 25 pounds of body weight.

Here is a good article about L-glutamine for dogs,
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/l-glutamine/

PhD Natural Health, LMSW-ACP

L-Glutamine, a Powerful Amino Acid

Research has shown exciting uses for the amino acid, L-GLutamine. Amino acids are found in proteins, and generally these amounts are plentiful for daily needs. But certain conditions have been found beneficial for adding L-Glutamine to the diet.

It has been found that certain conditions can cause a lack of l-glutamine. These can include stress, frequent physical exercise, autoimmune conditions and ailments causing muscle wasting. Several studies have been conducted with l-glutamine that have shown very good results when used as a supplement.

http://pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugpr ... 0125.shtml

Muscle Atrophy

I first discovered the effectiveness of l-glutamine for muscle wasting when one of my Rottweiler puppies was diagnosed with distal myopathy six years ago, which is a form of muscular dystrophy. Not much was offered in treatment options for dogs, but I found a group for parents of children with Duchene’s Syndrome which is a form of MD similar to distal myopathy. Several supplement suggestions were offered, but the most interesting was the suggestion of large doses of l-glutamine. They told me this amino acid helps to stop muscle atrophy and maintain integrity of the muscles during the worst time of this disease (in dogs, this would be from four weeks to eight months). My dog started showing immediate improvement with adding this to his diet, and I have also used it in other muscle wasting diseases, such as arthritis, cancer and after surgeries.

For further information on distal myopathy and Rottweilers:

http://b-naturals.com/Sum2000.php

Gastric Problems

Further investigation showed that l-glutamine is also helpful for gastric disorders, such as Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD), colitis and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). L-glutamine helps to stop inflammation of the small and large intestine and promote new cell growth in the intestinal lining. Using l-glutamine for this purpose does not have an immediate affect, but it promotes improvement over a period of weeks. In dogs prone to these conditions I would continue to use it for a few months even after symptoms have disappeared to continue to promote healing. It has even been found useful in helping ulcers to heal.

For more information on dealing with these gastric problems: http://b-naturals.com/Jul2002.php

Cancer

When I was developing the Bertes Immune Blend (partly due to one of my dogs being diagnosed with lymphosarcoma), I discovered l-glutamine was found not only useful for fighting muscle wasting associated with cancer, but also shows promise as an immune boosting supplement and may even be useful as an antioxidant. It is useful in this capacity to help support the dog’s immune system and help maintain body weight.

Wound Healing

It is also recommended to use this amino acid for wound healing:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_78539420

“The gastrointestinal tract has a large number of immune cells along its length — fibroblasts, lymphocytes, and macrophages. The ability of glutamine to nourish these immune cells may account for its positive impact on the gastrointestinal tract and immunity. Healing of surgical wounds, trauma injuries, and burns is accomplished in part by the actions of these immune cells. Their proper functioning is dependent on glutamine as a metabolic fuel for growth and proliferation. Therefore, a depletion of intracellular glutamine can slow growth of these cells, and ultimately prolong healing.[1] A small clinical study conducted recently in Poland demonstrated glutamine-supplemented TPN rapidly improved a number of immune parameters in malnourished surgical patients with sepsis.[9] Additional clinical trials also suggest that glutamine supplementation, as well as arginine and omega-3 fatty acids, may promote restoration of normal tissue function and intestinal permeability in post-operative patients.[10,11]”

An easier translation is that l-glutamine aids in cell volume and hydration, which aids in wound healing. It is a great supplement to use after surgery or in wound healing.

Benefits of L-glutamine covers:

IBD, Colitis, IBS and other gastric problems
Cachexia (muscle wasting) in cancer
Wound healing
Ulcers
Reducing muscle loss due to MD, arthritis and certain autoimmune disorders
Immune system boosting and possible antioxidant properties

The suggested dosage of l-glutamine is 500 mg per 25 lbs of body weight daily. In certain conditions, such as MD, doses can be much higher, please feel free to email me for more information.

Side effects are not common, and the two that are reported infrequently are constipation or bloating. Doses of up to four grams daily in humans are given with no side effects. Doses for dogs given at the above suggested dosages are well within safety ranges.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm 

Well, all seemed ok from the drug ingestion, but...
Now, it looks like we are headed into doggie surgery to remove a big obstruction from her stomach, which I am guessing is going to be some of the missing socks and soft toys.
NEW RULES IN THIS HOUSE!
No more soft fuzzy squeaky BS for dogs!
BJB has been bad about grabbing them and running with them when she sees you coming, and I think she has been swallowing them to keep us from taking them away!
We will know more in a couple of hours, after the barium does it's work, but the doc says the XRays show her stomach is almost completely full of something, and she hasn't eaten a cup full in two days that should still be in there... And, they think it is too dicey to take a chance with her vomiting it out, so they will probably be cutting on her tomorrow...
Will post more as we find out...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Oh dear. That little one is going to have to be watched!! Hope that all will be ok and she will be up and running soon. After her surgery, the L-Glutamine would help rebuild her gut. I realized after reading about it that rebuilding is why the body builders use it. It sure would help her and get her back on her feet.

Here's a link to Joe McHugh's dealing with Red and his blockage. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2684&
sid=54667f57f80f0ee1973a69eae894f82c

And a link to info on blockages-
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/dig ... OdHGKyPyU4

In Clifford's case, his pup seemed to feel good and would eat some. So, just like cases with our 2 legged kids- not all symptoms will apply. They were going on the fact that they knew that the pup had gotten into the pills. Little did they know that she had gotten ahold of something else. Poor baby!! Poor Clifford and Cristi!! Glad that I never had a pup that ate things that they werent supposed to!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 pm 

As of this evening, the vet has said that she is only going to wait till tomorrow morning to see if this will clear itself. She said the tests today show that the intestines are not totally blocked, but she also says that it could still happen, unless the dog vomits and empties her stomach. I wish they could just go in through the throat and clear it, but that is not an option now...
So, we are probably going to have the surgery done tomorrow morning...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 pm 

Be easier If the dog stayed outside and ate deer bones instead ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Whats up Colby....havent seen you on in awhile....hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year............

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

be thinking about your hound (cur) tomorrow Cliff.......

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:05 am 

Bluedog wrote:
Whats up Colby....havent seen you on in awhile....hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year............

Thanks bud! And yea been doin alot of hunting deer/hogs with dogs. Cliff hope the dogs is all well.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:25 am 

Colby, I think she would have found something else to gobble up out there too. It's just her nature to chew and swallow...
She's in surgery now... Waiting to hear how it goes, and hoping that the intestines aren't damaged beyond repair.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Prayers are being said for her. I suspect that she will be alright. Joe's dog had a huge blockage and he did fine, so I expect her to do the same.

Will be watching for your post to tell us that she is ok.

Give my love to Cristi- I know that she is having a hard time with this! Give her a hug for me and tell her that I am with y'all in spirit.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm 

OK! She is out of the surgery, and the vet said it went very well. The blockage was from that piece of plasticized mesh stuff that they place under a roast when they sell it shrinkwrapped on styrofoam... So, she has been doing some dumpster diving after we go to sleep... I guess that means we are going to have to make some better arrangements for keeping the dogs out of the garbage from now on!
And, on the up side, she is now the most expensive Lacy we own!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

congratulations on a successful surgery.........Yeppers, youve got yourself one expensive hound (cur) on your hands now.....

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion