Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:23 pm 

well i have always been told not to feed a dog chicken bones since they break off and cut the dogs intestines up i assume cooked right.

i am going to feed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness (should i get the puppy chow he is 3 months because i was reading a post that puppy chow had mostly corn in it.) for dry food, then what ever i kill mostly varmints, until hunting season gets here then its dove(can he eat once i get the breast out) and deer.
(fish might be on the menu for him depending on the size) i dont know if the fins, etc will hurt them i was reading that post on it. and had some questions

what raw food should i stay away from? (i have a small dog (6yr) and he gets fed dry food (purina smart blend) and people food. (mostly licking the plates). so the lacy wont get human food expect for meat. if we are cooking steaks, chicken, etc (would it be ok to give him cooked food, i have been told that its harder on the stomach.

I understand people put there dogs on a natural diet. but my main concern is attacking animals without permission.

thank yall! this will be a great experience and i enjoy reading the info about the lacy's and the great stories. and sorry for the long reading list.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:36 am 

That is correct. Cooked bone will splinter and cause problems in the stomach and intestines.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Any RAW bones are fine. Our dogs have eaten chicken, venison, pork, dove, goat, raccoon, rabbit, fish, and probably some others that I've forgotten, and we've never had a problem.

We freeze all of the meat first (we have a freezer just for "dog food"), then cut it up with a Sawzall while it's still frozen. It's less messy that way.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:02 pm 

thank yall. how does the dog deal with the fish? Straight form the water, mostly perch for him. and how about dove would the feathers and bones bother him or don't worry about feeding him those since there isnt much meat on them?

what about dog treats any thing i should stay away from.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:11 pm 

looking at the blue buffalo puppy chow it say deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, etc. should i get?

here is the link for all ingredients. http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/wildern ... animal=dog

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron,

You want to feed mostly meat of any kind. Dogs need a little bone and a little organ and they need liver. Feathers and hair should be kept to a minimum, but are fine in small amounts. They dont digest hair, feathers and hooves. These are made up of keratin and the dog just cant digest them- so no nutrients. The hair and feathers will clean out any debris in the intestinal tract, but it will come out just like it went in. Hooves will go down, but come back up!

The bones that you want to watch are the weight bearing bones of large animals. The dog will usually chew the marrow from the bone, then it is best to chuck the bone. Those bones are really hard and the dog just doesnt need to chew on it so much. Chicken bones, deer ribs, pork ribs, fish bones, all are ok. Some dogs eat the whole fish, and that is fine. That way the dog is getting the brain, organs, meat and bone all together.

Blue Wilderness has a puppy food that is grainless and that would be the best for the pup. When you have raw, you can feed what you have.

Your pup is basically a wolf. Always think what would the wolf eat, then your dog can eat the same. There is a bit of science to it, but raw is the way they eat and your dog is built the same exact way as far as its digestive system, teeth and jaws are concerned. The better your dog eats, the healthier it will be. Stay away from grains, fruits and vegetables as he cant digest them either. Your dog is a meat eater.

Treats that are made of chicken that come from China- I would stay away from. I dont know much about any other treats. My husband feeds my dogs treats from Walmart and they seem to do just fine with them. I dont particularly like the feeding of them, but they have been fed the Walmart brand of beef basted bones for years. I would just rather not feed them anything but raw, but he gives them dry cat food after their walk and it hasnt killed them! Moderation in treats should always be a goal so that it is really a treat and not a staple.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:18 pm 

Thank you for the well written post. It has made ne understand more about dogs. Now convensing the grandma they will be fine

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:22 pm 

Well my grandma wont believe me. But I believe yall

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 pm 

Tell grandma to call Betty :)

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

:)) That's ok. That's how grandmothers are sometimes! Once someone sees a dog chomp down on a chicken quarter and eat it, they usually see how natural it is. Many of the people on this forum feed raw either all of the time, or part of the time, depending on the meat that they have available.

Tell her that I have been feeding my dogs raw for several years now. Lucy has been raw fed for 6 or 7 years. Larry and Abe have been on raw all of their lives. I started Lucy's first pups on raw when one of them took a chicken quarter away from her.

Last year, one of Fred Reyna's friends- a taxidermist in Llano- gave me a trophy Sika and then later on, a trophy white tail. They had been shot, but were out in the heat too long, so he was afraid of the meat for human consumption, so my dogs got it. It was quite a score! After we run out of deer meat and the like, I feed mostly beef hearts and chicken quarters. One time I got just parts of an elk and that was wonderful! I fed the dogs on that for quite a while! My dogs are picky and dont like wild pork, but they eat rabbits that they catch and I feed them pork if I can get it cheap enough. They dont like fish either, but Robby's dogs do. My dogs are kinda picky.

Cowboy working on his chicken leg by scarebetty, on Flickr

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm 

thank you for the encouragement Betty. i will be showing my Grandmother the post. when she gets back in a couple of days. (the puppy wont be until tuseday.

that is a cute little boy in the pic.

I appreciate the info.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You are welcome, Ron. I am always here to answer questions, so dont worry if you have more questions. And, if your grandmother just wont go for the raw, that will be ok too. A good kibble is the next best thing.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:33 pm 

Well I did show her the post. She said that, he will be eating that outside if he is home or might cut some up and put it in his dog bowl. (may not be getting little tralver this week, maybe next week) (the full story is in the training section of what happened)

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

:)) Yes, you want to feed him outside. My dogs prefer it and very rarely, only when it is raining cats and dogs do they eat anywhere else. If they do eat inside, I clean up after them with a paper towel and some cleaning stuff. You dont want the raw juices, etc around to get salmonella to where someone could get into it.

I put the food in the dogs bowls, but they will always take the food out and carry it around here and there. Some people train their dogs to eat out of the bowl, or on a special towel, but the yard is what is the best. No training required there!

Sorry that you have had to put off getting the pup. Hope that you have him home with you soon!

My dogs are waiting for their supper. They are staring at me, so will go feed them!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:20 pm 

Thank ya, this happened a long time ago when we tried to get another dog but had to give it back since I was in the same pain but didn't have to go get pain meds at the hospital (history repeats its self for me.)

for feeding he will be getting a slice of meat or organs (if available) when being fed. in his bowl...

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding