Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm 

well my boy is doing good despite the behavior issue (i think more walking to make him sleepy), he gets pedigree, not what i want but I didn't have the $$ for the good food and that brand also and no excess meat for him and don't have squirrels since the cats are around. he gets fed 3 times a day, morning when he gets done using his bossiness or after a walk, then lunch and supper, after a walk

he does weight 25lbs at 3 months (should that be and ok weight he doesnt look skinny or fat just has a small belly on him). (I don't have a exact feeding scale but its not much since he gets fed 3 times a day as a puppy then going down to 2 meals a day once he is switched)

Betty I have a question can i feed him a squirrel (i dont think it will hurt whole) or rabbit (whole) once I freeze them? also the meat in the tubes from the store as a special treat and what would be ideal for a meal? thank you.

i got 2 choices on kibble wellness, or blue buffalo (the deal breaker would be the cost vs weight) what would y'all suggest between the 2, my buddy feeds both depending on what he can get at the time (he has one blue lacy, 2 bmc's, and a cat and they do well on both) and he doesn't say because both are good.

he does have bad farts at times, not sure what causes that my buddy' lacy is the same way, i guess its the breed?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yes, you can feed squirrel or rabbit. I dont know of anything that a dog would get from a squirrel, but it can always be frozen if you want. Some people say that dogs get worms from rabbits- mine never do, but freezing should take care of that also. Larry has a jack rabbit out there right now that he caugt and the dogs will eat it without freezing.

Be prepared for fleas. Just as humans and dogs are having problems with fleas, so are critters. Larry bayed up a raccoon the other day. Courtney shot it and when it fell, Larry was all over it. The other dogs got in on it too. Later on that day, we wound up having to spray the dogs as there were fleas on them. Larry seemed to have them the worst.

I dont know a lot about manufactured dog food- which is best, etc. But, you need to feed the best that you can afford. If you can feed the Blue Wilderness, that would be great. Maybe during hunting season, you can get some deer, etc. Ask any hunting friends for old meat that they have not used. Many hunters clean out their freezers before hunting season starts. The freezer burned meat is fine for a dog.

Animals pass gas because they have undigested food in the gut that is fermenting. A raw fed dog, or one on a good kibble, will not pass as much gas as one on cheap kibble. A dog is designed to eat, digest and pass food in a few hours. When the dog eats something that it cant digest, or food that was not designed for its system, that food stays in the gut and ferments- thus causing the gas. It may take a dog 24 hours to pass kibble and all that time in the gut is what causes the passed gas to smell so bad. After Larry eats this rabbit that he has, he will have some stinky gas- mostly because of the hair that he will eat and it does not digest. Occasionally, a dog will just have stinky gas, but anyone on here that feeds a diet of raw and also of kibble will tell you that there is a huge difference in the smell of gas and poop between the 2.

Courtney feeds her dogs different manufactured dog foods and they have been spending quite a bit of time here lately. I will say that her dogs are healthy and you can tell that because they dont have an odor, they dont pass much gas and their teeth are pretty and white.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:36 pm 

Thank ya. He is getting started on blue wilderness. I am hoping he won't eat a 26lb bag with in a couple of weeks once he is switched over.

If I ever go varmint hunting again he will be fed raw

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

Well hunting season is coming up and I have a healthy lacy thanks to blue wildness and purina one smart blend. he gets fed 3 cups (the kind out of a washer machine soap box) of a morning and 1.5 at night. When we took the boys to the vet he weighted 35lbs at 5months.

I will be taking trav varmint hunting when it gets cooler and I get my .22 to where it shoots every time. Now feeding raw what is in order. I have tried to get him on a cat (kitten) but he wont do nothing my grandmother has one too many and she spends $14 every week to feed them. He does kill baby birds with a giant paw. But he wont eat them I have tried I figure something smaller then his paw wont hurt. He trys to play with it. I understand that he his a pup still

If my other friend a town over will let me hunt (my dad trades work for hunting) I can have him cut some excess meat off the deer and bag it up for me (its not enough for a human but with the amount we shoot I will have enough to last.

I am going to start small a little bit of meat mixed with kibble 2cups, for a while. Then up to 50% with 1.5 cups then 75% one cup and leave it be. (During hunting season I doubt they have any left over.

I wont buy meat from store If I do its feeding the family.

now talking my grandmother In to this is going to take some skill after all a dog is from a wolf in general. And they don't have anybody to feed them.

So my raw feeding will include during hunting season and spring
Squirrel
coon
Jack rabbits
birds (how do I go about feeding him a bird)
And meat from a deer. Not the part that we will be eating

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron, I will get back with you on your question when I get to feeling better. Just wanted you to know that I am not ignoring you.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 pm 

Thank you betty for letting me know.

Me and trav hope you get better. Its not fun being down sick or in pain.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I havent been feeling good for a while now and appreciate your concern! Hopefully, I'll be getting back on my feet here pretty soon.

I dont know about feeding raccoon to Traveler. My dogs wont eat it and I have read that some people are totally against it because the raccoon is not just an omnivore, but they eat meat also. The idea of the raw diet being good for the dog is because the dog will eat something like a deer, then the dog gets nutrition from the stuff that the deer eats- acorns and such- that he cant get from his diet. Does that make sense? Anyhow, I just wouldnt count on a coon to supply the nutrition that some of the other animals will. It wont hurt him, just shouldnt be a big part of the diet. And, since my dogs wont eat them, I dont know how a dog would handle all that hair.

Hair is not digested and it can be really stinky when a dog eats much of it. Might be better for you and your grandmother!! to skin it? I just dont know. If anyone on here has fed raccoon, you might let us know.

The other animals should be fine. Some people say that a dog gets worms from jack rabbits, but my dogs eat them on the spot and are fine, so that is just for you to decide. Rarely will one of my dogs catch a bird, but if Traveler does and wont eat it, dont worry. A bird would just be a tid bit for him anyway. A turkey would be good, but a bird just wouldnt have enough meat, compared to bone. Have any hunters save the organs for you. The heart is good meat. The lungs, liver, kidney and I think it is the spleen, will be good for him. Then, you can keep some blood for training. Remember that the liver will cause some loose stools, but giving him like a half of a liver at one time certainly will not hurt him once in a while. I give quite a bit of liver when I give something that has a lot of bone, like a jackrabbit or the back of a turkey. Oh, and if you clean the gut of the jack rabbit before feeding it, Traveler wont pass as much gas. They can get pretty stinky eating a jack rabbit also. The hair is ok with a jack rabbit, it just causes some gas, but hair cleans the intestinal system, so the hair is good if the smell isnt awful!!

Amber and DJ feed their dogs what ever varmints that they kill or the dogs catch, then the dogs eat kibble when they dont have raw, so Traveler will be fine. You dont have to mix it with the kibble, if you have plenty of meat. Just give him one or the other if you have enough. Dont let him chew much on the leg bones. He will like the ends of the bones that have a lot of marrow on them, but leg bones on even deer, can get really too hard for him to chew on without running a risk of hurting his teeth somewhere down the road. I just pick the bones up after the ends have been pretty well chewed.

Hope that helps and if you have any questions, just let me know.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:59 pm 

Thank you betty I planed on mixing it from what my buddy said he may not eat raw food.
He killed another baby bird he did have it in his mouth but dropped it

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I have never heard of a dog that wont eat raw food. Some older dogs have troubles sometimes as older dogs are usually started on chicken and chicken doesnt have much smell. I guess that it could happen with a pup, but I certainly dont expect it. You let me know for sure if that little one turns up his nose at a piece of deer meat!! :))

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 pm 

Here next month I will do some wilderness shopping with the gun it will be good to get trav use to guns. I rigged (attached) it to the roll cage using his leash to give him room to move around (back seat) in the mule but he cant jump out works perfectly.

I hope the menu is squirrel I can hit birds but not enough meat there I will skin the animal and give him the meat.

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding