Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working

Post subject: Coyotes
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm 

Hello everyone new here. I am looking for a dog that can be used on fur. I hunt coyotes as well as fox and bobcats,and I also run a trapline for the same.

Here is what I am looking for. During the fall I like a dog that stays close to were I am calling and acts non-aggressive.. but can turn it on when needed, for the most part fall coyotes are not very aggressive. But when needed the dog will go out and bring the coyote back to me.

In the spring I do a lot of denning work were I need a dog that can be aggressive but smart enough not to get itself in a bad position. It will do a lot of decoy work at this time of year. It needs to be able to handle heat well. It has to have the grit to know its gonna take an ass wooping and willing go day after day. It may not get wooped on every day but its always a possibility. It needs to have a decent enough nose to follow cripples as well as follow animals caught in a trap on a drag. I know what I ask is a tall order but currently have dogs that do all the above. But finding a breed that can consistently do the above has been a challenge.

I also need a dog to be obedient, to lay beside me when calling fox and bobcats, to come when called and to release and stop when told.

For you folks that have hunted these dogs hard do you feel I am asking anything they are not up to? How do they hold up to hard use?

Season start in Oct. and ends in June so my dogs will see plenty of time in the field and training during the off season as well.

Regards
Brent Parker

Post subject: Re: Coyotes
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

welcome Brent........

Have you ever layed low when you could have stood tall

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:14 am 

Thank You for the welcome. Looking forward to learning more about these dogs and their capabilities.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:51 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Brent,

I'm not really a good person to answer your questions, but there are a few things that I can tell you.

The only thing that I can actually tell you is that these are some of the smartest dogs you will ever run across. With a good trainer, they can do most anything. They will usually bond real tight with one person and are always eager to please that person. These dogs have more heart and very high prey drive than most dogs.

Not all lacys would be good for you, so you should be very careful in picking a breeder and picking a pup from that breeder. I'm pretty sure that you know that, but just reinforcing that not all lacy breeders work their dogs and you would need a lacy that came from working parents.

Fox are nothing for a lacy to handle, but I cannot speak from experience on the others.

It gets kinda slow around here on the weekend, but others will get on and add their 2 cents as they check in.

Welcome and we're glad to help!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:22 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Mine will kill fox and coons pretty easy. Cats in a foot hold dont fair much better but can still do some damage. The places I trap and call just dont have coyotes so my experience is limited. But the little I have with coyotes is that the dogs tend to sit back and bay until I can dispatch the yote.

I used to take one of mine calling with me, but never really used him as a decoy dog. Most of our calling was done in the back of a truck. He learned not to go untill we shot. He was a critter retreiver in a since.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 pm 

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Another question I have is that I need a dog to range out 1/4 to 1/2 mile to look for coyotes in the spring and to go to a howl. Training to go to the howl is easy enough but will the Lacy's range out this far? I normally run a single dog so there will be no running buddy most of the time.

Thanks
Brent

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:50 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

yep - some of them will get WAY, way on out there :)

Post subject: Coyotes
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 am 

I would expect a shorter range dog unless sign is present, at least with most of the Lacys I ve seen, both of mine are pretty typical 400-600 for my female and my male on track will take it to the end (which i ve heard is a little longer ranged than typical) so do your research and find someone with some longer ranged dogs, there are a few out there.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm 

Thanks everyone, have talked to a couple of breeders and may give a pup a try. Have heard alot of good things. Will keep you informed of what I decide.

Thanks
Brent

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:34 am 

Welcome Brent! :-H

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:10 pm 

Update for this thread, I have bought a Lacy pup and will be getting her around Sept. 1 I will be training her for predators with some of my older dogs. Truly looking forward to working with this breed.
Items to work on:

Plan on obedience training

Both scent and blood trailing coyotes,bobcats and fox for trapline and calling work

Coyote decoy work

Denning work including going to a coyote howl. Going to a howl and learning when to turn tail and run for safety is the hardest part to get a young dog to learn.

This young pup will be coming in at the right time, she will see some work this fall and will also get to work this upcoming spring.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

How exciting! Please keep us updated. :-BD

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 am 

Can't wait to hear how your pup grows and learns! Please keep us updated.

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Board index » Lacys In Action » Working