Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

If a puppy doesn't feel well, he won't want to do any work...so I would get back on a regular feeding schedule. Then one evening, instead of a meal, create a mock trail with pieces of his food placed along it, and something really high value at the end...whatever he normally likes the best.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm 

Ok so heres what I did today.I took a small piece of Aoudad liver tied to a string and swung it in front of him.He was dead set on getting a hunk,I did this for about 20 seconds until I finally let him grab just a corner of it,and tear it off.I put him in his kennel,then went outside and did a 10 yd liver drag,leaving another small piece at the end.I then went about 50 yds away and did another drag that was 20 yds,this time lifting the liver for several feet,and replacing that with blood.At the end I placed a chunk of Raw Aoudad.and under that,hidden under cut grass,I placed his deer hide.I am very happy to say that both trail were a success,with no wandering off trail.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 pm 

I just fed him his dinner and we came back out front to play a bit.He immediately jumped off the porch and ran to the pasture,straight to the second trail.I think he is understanding that blood is yummy

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

:ymapplause:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good deal!!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:35 am 

Great job!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 am 

We ran another trail yesterday eve,trying to transition into the dark.This time I strapped a deer leg to a wooden dowel,and used it as a.walking stick.I made some observations that have me pleased.1) Jagger is starting to get excited when he sees his tracking gear 2) the bell on his collar no longer distracts him 3) the.deer hoof added a.whole new dimension for him,and he stayed much more focused.It was a great run!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 am 

Hard Knocks wrote:
We ran another trail yesterday eve,trying to transition into the dark.This time I strapped a deer leg to a wooden dowel,and used it as a.walking stick.I made some observations that have me pleased.1) Jagger is starting to get excited when he sees his tracking gear 2) the bell on his collar no longer distracts him 3) the.deer hoof added a.whole new dimension for him,and he stayed much more focused.It was a great run!

Hmmm I like this idea may have to try it out ourselves.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm 

The last two mocks(1week apart) have been in the 120-125 yd range,aged 2 hrs.Its time to decrease the amount of blood,and increase the age of the trail,cause he nailed em.He worked slow and methodical and only got sidetracked when he picked up a huge thorn.I stopped him,pulled it,and he reengaged easily,and quickly found his prize

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 pm 

Well ladies and Gentlemen,I hadnt posted Jaggers progress in a few weeks,so I figured it time.His last three mocks have been outstanding.He ran a mock this eve that was over 200 yds long,(3) 90* turns,and aged for more than 6 hrs. He got off track a time or two,but finished the track in 4:22 secs.Im trying to figure out how to post the video,but be forwarned,my 8y/o took the video.lol

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 am 

Sounds like you're doing a bang-up job James .. Go Jagger!!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing