Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 pm 

Couldn't stand myself and had to test her out. Some know I feed slim raw and she really seems to like the little beef liver I put in her bowl. She eats it first almost every time.
I collected some of the liver blood after thawing it and used it to make a 30 yard straight line interstate. I put a gumball size bit of liver halfway down the trail and at the end I put a larger piece of liver and a hunk of deer meat which was her nights meal.

I waited what was probably less than 5 minutes and got Slim and held her up saying "find the deer" emphasizing 'deer' while walking towards the start of mock. Put her down in the pile repeating the phrase and she was really sniffing around. I stood back and shut up.

She sniffed around for a minute and started licking and eating the leaves the blood was on without advancing down the trail so I stepped up and bent down pointing to the blood down in front of her. She advanced smelling it and I continued slowly easing along trail with my finger out pointing to the blood. She continued sniffing and following my direction until she ended up at the gumball piece of liver I put halfway down. She ate it.

I then stood up and shut up. She sniffed around for a minute and then noticed the trail continued and she continued down the rest of the way (10 -15 yards) and approached her meal that I left at the end. She put her nose up winding it and soon sniffed it out.

As she approached it I began praising and petting and she was steady knawing that deer meat.
She ate her meal right there in the woods and I was really pleased.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good job! Both of you!

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:05 am 

Good job,keep it up

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am 

Hard knocks I forgot to add that I teased her with a very small of the liver on a string and let her get it right before I picked her up and put her on the start.

Learned that one from your post on Jagger. This is my first go around training a blood tracking dog and all the info I have read online (plus Jeaneney's book) really helped me plan my training.

I am posting my experiences as a newbie hoping that it helps someone in the future or helps me get advice on possible hang ups in the future.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 am 

Excellent track!! Looks like your on the right path Grady!

http://txhillcountrytrackers.com/Home_Page.html

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:31 pm 

That was the intention of chronicling Jaggers training.He is not my first tracking dog,but Imo,training two dogs the same way doesnt always work.Posting your trials and tribulations in training will always help someone or help to spark a new idea on how to get things done.It is my ultimate goal to build a kennel of Lacys known for their tracking ability through out North America

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:24 pm 

I took her back out to the camp yesterday. I decided to take her over to where I had run the trail the day before. It had rained and no blood was visible but I knew where the trail was and just wanted to see if she would hit on it.

I don't know if she remembered or what but she looked to be really smelling the trail hard. She progressed down the trail and about halfway down got excited and started jumping around. Her jumping took her about 10 feet off to the side of trail and she sniffed around over there and then started moving back toward the trail. I was watching to see if she picked it up when she crossed and she did. She turned and went to the end where she had eaten the day before and I was praising her real big and picked her up and walked off.

AWESOME ! I guess that counts as Mock #2 ?

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing