Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post subject: Slim Mock #3....9 weeks
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:13 pm 

Ran a short 30 yard trail with deer blood from some meat I thawed out. The trail was her first in the woods with plenty of vines, limbs, poison ivy X( , and other things that would have distracted her a week ago. It was also the first time I was able to use a deer hoof to stick in the ground to add another scent for her to smell.

I held her and carried her into the woods keying her up with the words "track" and "deer".
I put her on the ground at the start and she started smelling it hard. I kept saying "track em" a couple times and shut up. After several seconds she began walking down the trail with her nose on the ground. She stopped when some thunder rolled in the distance about half way down the trail and came back to me. I didn't say anything and she passed me going back to the start of the trail like "let's get out of here!" I stood my ground and after about a minute or so she came back down the trail toward me smelling around again and putting her nose in the hoof prints.

She got to me and stopped for a few seconds and I was still being quiet. She started back on the trail and followed the last few yards and found her hunk of deer meat and hoof. I praised her as her ate.

She is getting better. I am just going to keep laying these easy straight trails until she is running them in seconds.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:24 pm 

You did right by standing your ground,it showed her that there was nothing to fear,and the job had to get done.Congrats to you and Slim

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:07 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You are doing good!! And, she is doing good! Y'all are gonna be ready for some real tracking, come hunting season, even as young as she is.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 pm 
NLDA Board of Directors

Sounds like you are making strides in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing