Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFru58Tr ... ata_player
I threw a 90 turn in the last couple times and she tends to over run them but notices on her own that the scent is no longer present and turns around and comes back trying to locate the scent. I tried putting a long lead on her to slow her down but it just distracts her and she tries to bite/play with it. I will have to wait on the lead until she is older. This was done with a beef liver blood on a drag rag. I put a chicken leg quarter at the end for her treat and tied her to the golf cart out of sight from me while I laid the trail. She saw me leave with the chicken and the drag and knew what was up. I let her run the trail immediately after I laid it and she was really excited to run this one. I might try this technique again because she was VERY focused on following the scent and finding that chicken quarter.

Any feedback appreciated as I am new to blood tracking with a dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFru58Tr ... ata_player

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 pm 

Imo you have got to get her used to the lead when first starting out,it will stop all of that running around.The last thing that you want her to do is find something that is more interesting. Just my .$02. When shes on a lead,she can be corrected and rewarded for making the right decisions.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm 

I will be using the lead on her next time out to slow her down and keep her from possibly getting distracted by something. Problem is....the lead is distracting her. Maybe it will only be an issue for a time or two and then she will get over it.

I am pleased with the way she is searching at such a young age. I just need to slow her down and get her focused on STAYING on the scent.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 pm 
NLDA Board of Directors

Working with a lead as you are training your dog helps give a little more direction. Most of the time you have laid the trial and you know where the turns are. One idea to help them learn the turns is if they pass it, just stop. Don't jerk or pull on the lead. Just stand and let your dog work to the end of the lead. The resistance they feel will gently steer them back to the way you want them to go. When they work their way back to the scent they feel like they find it them selves. It's kinda like you are keeping them in a contained area til they find they right door. Hope that makes sense. :)

Having a dog leash trained can be very very beneficial in many different areas. You never know when you might need it and when you do, you don't want it to be a problem.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 am 
Site Admin

You're doing a good job...keep it up!

And you are absolutely right...you should be rewarding her every time she performs the right action for you. She has to be motivated to work and you have to increase motivation with positive reinforcement.

Since it's not always possible to reward the dog immediately, you can condition a marker to link the dog’s behavior with a reward. You might mark the good deed with verbal praise first, then offer the food reward. After a few repetitions, she will understand that the verbal praise means she did the right thing and she will be rewarded for that action. Basically, you are just marking the moment in time when she was correct and you can follow up with her reward when it is convenient.

Just remember, there is a difference between rewarding a dog and bribing a dog. Trainers refer to this difference as an active dog versus a reactive dog.

Bribery is the act of presenting the reward to the dog in order to get the dog to perform a desired behavior. This dog is called a reactive dog and is being driven by the production of the reward. An active dog drives the production of the reward. I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but it's important.

Rewarding is the act of presenting something a dog finds valuable (food, toy, praise, etc.) after the dog has performed the behavior...so the dog learns that his behavior drives the production of the reward. That being said, all dogs and puppies start out as reactive dogs.

Again, thanks for sharing your pictures and videos with us!

Board index » Lacys In Action » Blood Trailing