Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:11 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Yes, I got your address and I got the tea tree oil the other day. I will have it in the mail early next week.

Just take a drop or two and spread it around on each spot, at least 3 times a day. We'll give it 3 or 4 weeks to see if it makes any difference. I think that it will. It would be a good idea to put it on when you are going to be doing something so that he wont be so inclined to lick it all off.

My next suggestion- to do as soon as you can, is to ditch any food that he might be eating that has any corn or soy in it. I dont know any brands or stuff like that, and I do understand that the foods without corn or soy are more expensive, but there are ones that dont cost an arm and leg that have other fillers in them. No vegetables or grains are good for a dog, but corn and soy are the worst. Corn cannot be digested by hardly any animal, not just dogs. When a food cannot be digested, the body doesnt know what to do with it and it must get rid of it, so it goes different places- the skin being the largest. Soy just isnt good for a dog period. Also, a huge amount of corn and soy that are grown in the USA are GMO and thats not good. So, get some food that have peas and carrots, or potatoes and rice, if you cant afford to go straight meat.

If those 2 things dont make a difference, then we will go looking somewhere else. ;)

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron,

I got your tea tree oil in the mail today, so you should have it soon. However, after reading on the internet, you probably dont want to use it. Altho I have used it many times on my dogs, there can be problem (the internet says) using it on small dogs and cats. I wouldnt advise using any essential oils on cats. Since Traveler is still a pup, dont use it. I will find you something better to use that there will not be any question about using it.

I have a friend who told me that those spots might be Canine Pyoderma which is a bacterial infection of the skin. She says that it is a staph infection and anti-biotics are needed. I dont remember what your vet said that it was, but I do remember that the vet put Traveler on anti-biotics which didnt help. Just wanted you to know so that you can make a decision as to what you want to do.

Sorry for the confusion.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm 

After reading some of the comments off of pet md I am worried but since when has the internet been right?
I dont want to put him on vet meds, that has a whole bunch of stuff in there. That would be my last resort

I am thinking about the anti biotics maybe they didn't give me enough so that I could see a difference?

Thank you for your help betty would you like for me to send you the stuff back since we are not going that route?

I dont know if this will help any but I bought some pup shampoo it has oatmeal in it. The vet shampoo doesn't do well for him it seems like

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I dont like many of the vet meds either- especially antibiotics. But, if that is a staph infection, just one round of regular antibiotics probably would not clear it up. Staph infections need specific antibiotics to work. Talk with your vet if you feel like you need to.

I would like to send you some coconut oil and try that route, even if you decide to go back to the vet. Coconut oil will not hurt in any shape, form or fashion and should be good for him. If he licks it off, it will just make his coat shinier! You could even feed it to him, besides putting it on the spots. That way it will be doing good from the inside and out. Walmart carries a coconut oil, but it is not hardly a good one. I wont be going into town for a few days, but will get some and send it to you. No, you dont have to send the tea tree oil back to me. When he gets bigger you can use it if you need. I just put a few drops in a bucket with shampoo and that is what I used to bathe the dogs in. If you get toe nail fungus, you can use it!! :)) It has a powerful smell to it and it is known as a 'hot' essential oil, but I use it on things- straight from the bottle.

The oatmeal shampoo may help also, it should help with itching and problems like that. I dont think that it will be a cure, but it might help with symptoms. I'll get you the coconut oil as soon as I can and we'll see what that does.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:24 am 

Thank you betty, we look forward to trying the coconut oil are there any recommendations on giving it to him. I guess it does no good if he licks it off so I will put it on him before a walk.

I found the pill bottle Image

I think there was 7 maybe? I dont feel like doing the research right now but I think its for general infections.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

No problem, Ron, just hope that what we try will help.

You can give him a couple of teaspoons a day. Mix in it his food, or just give it to him. He should eat it, no problem, but sometimes you never know. Larry loves it, but then, Larry loves most anything!! Then, you can also just rub some into the spots. That way, it will be working inside and out and if he licks it off, it will still be working.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm 

Hey betty I got your package this morning

trav might have another spot at the top part of his neck.

Last edited by Ron20 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm 

Hey betty thank you for the package. Would you like for me to send some money your way?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron,

The girl at the health food store should have mailed your coconut oil today, so you should have it in a day or so. Dont worry about paying me. If it works, that will be all the payment I need.

I am relatively sure that some of the stuff that he is eating could be causing some of the problem. Things that dont belong in a dog that are not thrown up can cause problems, just the same as stuff in their food. I cant remember who it was that had problems with their dogs and spots and the spots cleared up when the dog stopped eating the junk such as socks, etc!! :)) Have you quit feeding him food with corn and soy in it? If so, keep track of the date. We may never know what is causing the spots, but the main goal is to get rid of the spots.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 pm 

He gets fed blue wilderness bad thing is we mixed it with buddy's food to save some money he gets fed purina one smart blend. He has had the spots before the switch. But here in the next couple of weeks I will have some coin so I can buy cheaper food I wouldnt mind paying the the $58 for blue if it was for a 50lb bag. I had him on wellness (I think) and blue wilderness when I was with my buddy didn't see any difference and that was about 4 days.

He still eats his bedding, no human food like licking the plates.

I will try that coconut oil in the morning. I really hope it helps I am going to out over his food, and I am going to put it on one spot see what happens

I got some shampoo that my gma got for her cats one lost all her hair she got it back I dont want to use it though. If I can do this naturally I will be happy.

Hey betty can you send me a list of what all I can give my dog (natural products) when you get the chance please. Thank you

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You have gotten the coconut oil already???

I would suspect that Trav was on pretty sorry food before you got him. So, having the spots before you got him really doesnt mean anything. Most dogs can eat corn and stuff like that and it not show up in spots, but it can show up in other ways. And, having him off of that stuff it will take a while for you to see a difference. Four days wont be enough to show up in a way that you would see. It will take a while to see a difference in the spots, even with the coconut oil. I'm pretty sure that there are dog foods that dont cost a whole lot that dont have corn or soy in them. I'll see what I can find and let you know.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 am 

Yes mam, talk about quick.

poor boy and was fed on pedigree before I switched. Then he got on blue I will have to look on dog food info (or what ever that site is called. The Tractor supply 2 towns over has the good food.

I wonder if its something in blue wildness chicken.

edit- well i gave trav some coconut oil he didnt seem to care, about having it in his food.

well betty its tough trying to find good food for him and cheap for me. i found some after a quick search
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -food-dry/ 4.5 stars
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -food-dry/ 4 starts might not be able to get close by like the other

4 health is cheaper and has 5lbs over what taste of the wild is (i can get this one with out driving far about 22 miles away the other one is about 36 miles

they come in 30 for taste of wild and 35 for 4 health big question is what flavor to go with

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Sorry, I missed this post.

I know that the food that Trav may need is going to be more expensive and will probably going to be harder for you to get. It will make a monetary difference in vet expenses tho. It's hard to see that kind of reasoning, but I have to do the same with my raw feeding. I buy 3 boxes of beef hearts (60 lbs a box) at a time. It costs me around $220 when I get them. That's a hard check to swallow!! But, in your case, if the coconut oil helps, you can perhaps go back to a cheaper food. If you can find a way to pay for the better food, just for a while, then perhaps you can make a change later on. It's just a guessing game right now. I will look at the links and still have to do some looking myself and get back with you. I have a website that I like for dogfood, but will have to find the book mark. LOL.

If you were to get a large amount of raw food, do you have a place to store it? A lot of times, you can get raw food from your hunting friends, or taxidermist, but that wont do you any good if you cant store it. So, kibble is probably going to be your way to go.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 am 

Thank you for the reply that 220 is hard on the wallet but I have one dog so it wont hurt me that much if I try it., he gets about 4 spoon fulls a day 2 of a morning and at night. I have notice a slight difference in his coat and noticed his spots are getting better expect for his chest or thats what it looks like.

Right now when I get some money saved up its taste if the wild? Its just like blue wilderness but cheaper, I just have too much going out but he still has food. So no worries

feeding him raw food sounds great , I have a deep freezer but getting gma to let me feed him raw, and storing it in there is going to be tough even in a doggie bag

Thank you betty for everything you have been a great help in the road to recovery with trav we are not out of the woods yet.

Do you have a way that I can keep trav from tearing up his bedding that might have caused the spots, but its hard to break him of that since I can't catch him but yet I dont want him to start eating wood (plywood) my cage didn't have a bottom I have tried toys but that doesn't hep much

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

You are always welcome. I just hope that I help in some way.

I know that there is a block for people like your grandmother when you store stuff for the dogs. We can just keep working on her. If you are not storing whole rabbits or squirrels, but deer meat that came from a taxidermist, that would be a different thing. Last year I got a large axis and a large white tail that probably were ok to eat, but were 'iffy'. They never had a smell to them. I understand where your grandmother is coming from, but there is always hope! If it's human grade meat, there's really no problem.

Taste of the Wild would be fine, according to what I read on the link you posted. If you are able to supplement some during the fall and winter with squirrels and such, that would lower the cost also.

I dont have anything to help with the chewing problem. Lacys are known for being able to chew up anything, so you may just have to wait until he quits chewing so darn much.

When you get sure that you are seeing a difference in the spots, you can cut him back to a spoonful of a morning and one at night.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion