Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:13 pm 

I guess when I go hunting I can put the meat in there she doesnt look in the deep freeze at all it will be mostly meat from deer. In small portions nothing really big.

Even gma noticed a difference in his spots but he has some scab like things near his coller before the coconut oil

here is his spots I wanna say they look better

Hey betty can you send me a list of natural products for him kinda like cause and effect (in sort terms product- what it does for him) thank you

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:08 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Do the spots have any short new growth hair? I really cant tell whether they look any better than before, so stay on the 2 x 2 for a while. If you get low on the coconut oil, let me know and I will send you some more. If you ever go to Llano, check at HEB and see if they have any coconut oil. Our HEB is bigger and they have a section for health food stuff where they carry coconut oil, but they also have some coconut oil along with the veg oil in the reg section. So, maybe at some point, you can get some yourself, but we wont worry about that right now. Of course, if you ever go to Austin, there are many places that you can get it. Do not get the brand LouAnn. It is not quality coconut oil.

As far as a list of natural things- that will probably be an on going learning process. Some of the things that come to mind are things that you will have difficulty getting.

For things that would be easy for you, and this is just some rambling of things here goes.
For treats- deer ribs are great for the marrow and the chewing and dogs generally love them. They will help clean the teeth and give Trav something to chew on for a while. If you can get a hunter to give you a rack, it would be great. Even if they dont have much meat on them, it still would be good. He could have one once a week.

Eggs are good for dogs and they usually like them. If he will eat the whole egg, good! If not, then just give him the yolk and whites. Again, he doesnt need a lot of them- once a week. Use them as something special when you want to give him something. Funny thing, Lucy will not eat a chicken egg from the grocery store, but we were out walking and she found a turkey nest. She came walking towards me with something strange in her mouth and I finally realized that it was a turkey egg. She carried it in her mouth for a while, then gingerly started eating it and she ate the whole thing. I dont advocate finding turkey eggs for the dogs, but if they find one on their own and will eat it, let them.

There is a homeopathic medicine called Arnica Montana. It is made from the plant Arnica Montana and is great for sprains and muscle aches. Do not use it if there is a break in the skin. You may be able to get the gel at Wal Mart as it has become pretty accepted in the general population as it works really good. If the dog has sprained a leg muscle, just slather it in the gel, a couple of times a day. You have to work it down thru the hair, so use plenty.

Fish is good for dogs, but some dogs dont eat it. It has stuff in it that is good for the brain and coat. If you know fishermen, ask them for any older fish that is in their freezer. Freezer burn doesnt matter. Fish oils that come in capsules and you can get them anywhere vitamins are sold are really good. There are some that are better than others, but I would have to look that up. I am not a perfectionist when it comes to things that people can get and the fish oils get really complicated, so if you can find fish oils that dont have soy in them, you could give them off and on for a while. Trav's coat will turn shiny in nothing flat and fish oils are good for older dogs that have inflammation from arthritis.

Avoid anything in the grocery store that has ingredients that you cannot pronounce. Greenies, pigs ears and junk like that are not good for dogs. If Trav has bad breath, give him a meaty bone. Avoid shampoos that have laurel sulphate in them. Avoid chemicals unless all things natural are not working. When Trav gets grown (18 months) if he has fleas, bathe him in tea tree oil with Dawn dish detergent.

That's a start and as I think of more things, I will add to them.

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thank you for the list betty I am trying to do things differently then what we did with buddy.

He does have some hair growing on the spot on his hip and at the one near his butt thats almost cleared up.

Thank you on the coconut oil we still have about half a container left
I laid off of it for 3 days now. he threw up in my truck I thought it was to much oil but. the cause of that he eats his bedding and pretty much anything old curtains, and now his plywood flooring (long story short my dad gave it to me) and I took his tire out since that rubber and stuff to make the tire cant be good for him.Only in his crate

on the list I didnt know that certain shampoo can be harmful. So vet shampoo might have that chemical in it but he gets a bath once a week I will have to check on the oatmeal shampoo

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Learning about taking care of your pets is a sign of a good and caring owner. I admire you for trying to learn and to do the right thing.

If some of the spots are clearing up, cut back on the oil. 2 spoonfuls a day should be good and if the 4 spoonfuls were upsetting his stomach, 2 will be better. Dont quit it completely. I'm glad that some spots are clearing up- Thats a very good sign! I have some info that I will be sending you on itchy dogs, but will have to wait until Mon as I am getting ready to go to Burnet.

I have a funny story to tell you. It relates to Trav throwing up.

We are having to keep our 2 donkeys in the yard as they got lameitis and are having a terrible time with their hooves. We have to give them medicine and that is not an easy thing with donkeys that are not tame! So, they are confined to the pens where they have shelter and then can get out into the yard and eat grass and weeds to their hearts content. Their feet hurt so bad that they would not walk to water, so they have water buckets all around the yard. Makes for a nice yard!!
I sit out in the evening and work on my tin and barbed wire art and take my shoes off because I like to connect with the energy of the earth. The other day, I had gone walking, so had on tennis shoes and short socks. When I started working, I took off the shoes and short socks. When it was time to clean up and go into the house, I got everything picked up but the socks when I got a phone call. Later on, I went out to finish closing everything up and only one sock was on the ground and Sissy was standing right there chewing, like a cow chewing a cud. I figured that she was chewing on my sock, but just couldnt believe it. I watched her for a while and just just stood there and chewed. Roy came out and sat on the steps and I went on and finished cleaning up and fed the cats. Roy hollered at me and low and behold, Sissy had coughed up something fairly large and very green!!!! :)) I went and looked and sure enough, it was my sock!!! ;) I couldnt believe how green it was!! At least she coughed it up and didnt throw it up!! :)) :))

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:03 am 

Thank ya, I am thankful for everything that you have done for me. I used to go to bed around 3:30-5:00am and wake up around 12 or later. Now its 2 at the latest and 8 at the latest since I got trav.

I got some taste of the wild kibble (the one with roasted lamb) it's also a grain free formula. Thursday and got it mixed in with the rest of his food what's nice about it its $10 cheaper than blue wildness . And it has more kibble plus its 20miles closer. we will see what that does.

I wonder if any of the other dogs from the breeder have spots? I might have to call the breeder here soon and ask a question of any of his other dogs had skin problems? I also wonder if it will go away when he gets older (just a thought)

I look forward to you the info thank ya.

that is a funny story, at least you solved the case of the missing sock.

on that fish oil how much should I give him? And I guess I can mix the 2 oils coconut and fish.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Here is a good website for natural care for people animals and it has a ton of info. http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/overview.htm I havent been on it in a while. The website just grows and grows!

I'll have to look up the info on fish oils for you. There are some that you dont want to give and some that are better. A lot of them have soy in them and that isnt good in kibble or fish oils!! I'll get back with you on it soon.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:05 pm 

I will have to look at the site. Thank ya, I havent been feeding coconut oil. Since the new food. Just to make sure he is taking to it ok. So far all is good with him.

the 2 spots on him are looking better it seems like. The spot on his belly not so much.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 am 

Well trav is getting better those 2spots are looking great hey Betty maybe the coconut oil is helping I still dont know why the spot on belly looks bad for.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:30 pm 

hey betty, i found some salmon oil for him at the pet smart store and found a big deal of coconut oil 54oz at sams club for $17 which is great, didnt get a pic of the brand but it was 100% virgin coconut oil. but i didnt get it, since i didnt know if it would be a good idea.
any luck on finding out about the oils?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:00 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Ron, I have not looked into the oils for 2 reasons: one, the coconut oil is working and it is easy and available. Two, I am a procrastinator!

I would just continue with the coconut oil for a while longer. Where ever the problem starts is always the last to go. If the coconut oil helped the other spots, it will eventually help the spot on the belly. Remember that I told you that this might take a while, so lets just stay with what we are doing and give it more time. I truly believe that the spots were a fungus in the body and fungi is really hard to kill off. It will look like it is gone, only to show up again after a while. The coconut oil is cheap and good compared to vet care and there's no reason to stop it now. Besides, it's an overall good way to increase the health of any dog.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:40 am 

well he spots still look the same, bad thing is i ran out of coconut oil. about a couple of weeks ago.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I looked at Sams Club to see what kind of coconut oil they had. I am not familiar with the brands, but if they say they are organic, they are probably ok for Travler.

On the fish oils, check and make sure that they do not have soy in them. Fish oils that have cod liver oil are not as good as salmon or anchovies. Just like the dog food situation, it gets difficult to know which is best. Life shouldnt be so difficult!!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Veterinary Discussion