Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding

Post subject: coconut oil
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

http://coconutresearchcenter.org/hwnl_10-4.htm

Coconut Therapy for Pets by Dr. Bruce Fife Available from Piccadilly Books, Ltd.

When the owners spotted fleas on their two cats, they put “just a drop” of topical flea treatment on each one. Within hours the cats became very sick, and one of them was convulsing. The family rushed them to Greentree Animal Clinic in Pittsburgh, but both cats died. The flea treatment that was labeled for use on dogs, but the owners assumed that a small amount would be OK for their cats. Over the next couple of weeks two more cats rushed to the Greentree Animal Clinic died in a similar fashion. In each case, the owners used canine topical flea treatment, referred to as “spot-on” treatments because just a dab applied on the animal’s skin quickly kills fleas. But those products can be deadly when people don't read or precisely follow directions. “I am very upset that the warning on the canine flea topical ‘Do not use on cats’ is so very small. I wish it said in very large letters: This Product Could Kill Your Cat,” said Leslie C. Marino, practice manager at Greentree Animal Clinic in Pittsburgh. None of the four cats were regular clients of Greentree, but all were rushed there because the clinic was closer than the owners' usual veterinary offices. People often just assume that the products they buy for their pets are safe. However, many of the over-the-counter medications and treatments sold at your local pet store are not as safe for your pet or yourself as you might assume, even when the instructions are followed to the letter. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been investigating a surge in adverse events tied to spot-on parasite-control treatments, with reactions ranging from minor skin irritations to seizures and deaths. The EPA began looking at the issue in 2009, when the number of reported adverse events in pets exposed to topical flea and tick products reached 44,000 in 2008, up 53 percent compared with the previous year. In response to the 2008 increase, the EPA analyzed 21 different products registered by Bayer, Fort Dodge Animal Health (now Pfizer), Hartz Mountain Corp., Merial, Pet Logic, Sergeant’s Pet Care Products, Inc., Summit VetPharm and Wellmark. The topical parasiticides produced by these companies are considered “spot-on” because they come as liquids contained in small, plastic vials that are squeezed onto the skin of a pet’s back, usually between the shoulder blades. Spot-on treatments typically are applied every few weeks during flea and tick season to prevent and manage infestations. The EPA regulates these products because they're categorized as pesticides rather than drugs (which are controlled by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration). Any formula to treat fleas and ticks that is applied on the skin must be EPA-registered. The topical products in question include active ingredients in all pesticide classes: cyphenothrin, phenothrin, permethrin, imidacloprid, dinotefuran, fipronil, amitraz, etofenprox, S-methoprene, pyriproxyfen and metaflumizone. Putting pesticides on your pet doesn’t sound like a very healthy idea. Even small dogs (10-20 pounds) have had adverse reactions to spot-on treatments. People too, are exposed to the pesticides when they come into contact with treated dogs. What about your children? Although cats, primarily because of their smaller size, are more sensitive to these treatments, you’ve got to wonder what harm theses pesticides are doing to your dogs and your family. Fortunately, there is a much better option available, one that is just as effective, if not more so, and completely harmless to your pets (both dogs and cats). The solution is coconut oil. Yes, a dab of ordinary coconut oil rubbed into your pet’s coat will keep it free of ticks and fleas. If your cat or dog licks its coat, as they always do, you don’t have to worry about them ingesting deadly pesticides, coconut oil is harmless. You also don’t have to worry about your three-year-old hugging and petting your treated dog. One dog owner says: “We live in an area (tropical north Queensland, Australia) with many dangerous ticks including the so-called ‘paralysis tick’ which kills many dogs and cats every year. Since starting my dogs on virgin coconut oil I have not found any ticks on them and they have no fleas either. No need for any highly toxic (and expensive) chemical flea and tick control for my dogs.” Another owner says: “I applied the oil to my dog’s coat every time we went for a walk. Boy did it make her coat shine! She hasn’t had any ticks or fleas since I’ve been using coconut oil. It gives better results than the commercial products I used to use and it’s cheaper!” Coconut oil is not only an excellent flea and tick treatment but an all-purpose pet protector. Just one jar of coconut oil can replace dozens of commercial products designed to treat fleas and ticks, scabies, intestinal parasites, pet odor, dry and itchy skin, dull coats, skin rashes and infections, ear mites, injuries and wounds, eye problems, digestive troubles, liver issues, joint problems—the list can go on and on. For just a fraction of the cost, coconut oil can solve most of these issues and do a far better job of it, without any toxic side effects. Coconut oil is not only beneficial for dogs and cats, but most any pet or farm animal including ferrets, parrots, canaries, chickens, horses, goats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, and other animals. If you have animals and want to keep them healthy and free of annoying parasites, consider using coconut oil in their food and as a topical ointment. For more details about the use of coconut oil and other coconut products with pets and farm animals check out my new book Coconut Therapy for Pets. ■

"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did
better."
Maya Angelou

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something in your life!"
Winston Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjleek/

Post subject: Re: coconut oil
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 pm 

Hi folks new here, anyway the flea subject came up today while I am working on a large building for a Grey Hound racer and I ask how he keeps flea in control. He says Borax, just spread it out and it stops the eggs from hatching. Anyone know if this works?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:13 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

I have just been learning about Borax myself. I have read some negative stuff about it, but not enough to state anything about what I read. I do know that a while back, I had a friend who was having a flea problem and borax was something that the natural community uses in the house for fleas, etc. I found a lot of articles on borax and fleas. I will try to look those up again and post what I find and I will try to find the anti-borax stuff. It's always good to learn.

Off-topic, but I found on Pinterest that Borax was good for removing mineral deposits and since I have that problem, I tried it! It cleaned those mineral deposits in nothing flat. I also found that it will clean the clothes a lot better and it cleaned the deposits out of the dishwasher. It works as a water softener also. Crazy the things that we leave behind because the scientist made a chemical that will do the job supposedly better. To heck with what the chemicals do to humanity and the planet!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:29 am 

Slim loves when I put coconut oil on her. She smells like one of my favorite candies (almond joy). It does keep ticks off but you have to be diligent with it as it seems to only last a day or two. Good stuff Mrs. Betty !

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Grady! How'd that little red dog doing?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 am 

She is doing great. 43 pounds at 10 months old. Runs 5 miles like it ain't nothin. She got on 23 trails this year and found 17 deer. Many were easy trails but several would not have been found without a dog. She AMAZED me and the people I was tracking for a few times this year by staying on the trail when blood was non existent. We had three 4-5 hour 2-3 mile tracks that ended in us jumping a non-mortally wounded deer. I think I am going to get her a GPS so that I can release her in that scenario next year to see if she will bay them because a couple were really nice bucks that we hated to see get away (just don't want her to get hurt).
She is also doing good retrieving so maybe she will be a good bird dog.

Attachments:
IMAG0770.jpg
IMAG0770.jpg [ 251.53 KiB | Viewed 1605 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:01 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Glad that she is doing so good! She's a pretty girl!

Also glad that she is doing so good on her diet. The raw feeding purist say that coconut oil shouldnt be fed because it is not meat and the dogs cant digest it, but from what I have seen, the coconut oil is doing great things for dogs and humans alike. My dogs love it but I dont feed it often. When they eat deer meat, I dont give them anything. When they eat store bought food I give them fish oils. I'm certainly not a purist, so not telling you not to feed the coconut oil, just 'talking'. If I didnt have fish oils and had the coconut oil, I would certainly give it. I have put it on wounds and it works great.
Have not tried it for fleas. Most natural stuff has to be applied often. The Cedarcide that I use, is put on nearly every day. Courtney uses a product that is natural that lasts longer than most.

Havent had a chance to look up the Borax info yet, but I'll get around to it soon.

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 pm 
NLDA Lifetime Member

website on Borax- interesting.

Borax can be good- can be bad if ingested.

http://boraxforfleasguide.com/does-borax-kill-fleas/

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Post subject: coconut oil
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 pm 

Just started the coconut thing, it seems like I'm adding conditioner to my Wyatt !
He has a stinky and dry coat sometimes , so I think this should do the job! It looks like it working so far

Sonny

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 am 
NLDA Lifetime Member

Good! It should really be good for Wyatts coat! And, his insides!!

better."
Maya Angelou

Winston Churchill

Board index » Dr. Dog » Alternative Health & Feeding